anchor

Aging Architecture

SDR

Thanks. I KNEW it was expensive. . .!

Oct 18, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

This thread is purdy.

John Soane did a series of drawings showing his proposal for the Bank of England in ruins, which is really cool.

Oct 18, 07 1:25 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Just a thought, but the great buildings that we seem to be referring to have materiality and detailing that is very "internalized", and some of their facades are well, a bit brutal, or only architects could love. You can walk past the same detail and enjoy it again and again.

Those projects that have about exterior form, or their principal architectural move is manifest in the facade, unless their is a fastidious client who cares for their piece of built sculpture (I'm thinking Gehry), then eventually they start to look a bit worse for wear.

Oct 18, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

I wish I could find interior shots of Scharoun's buildings in Berlin.

Oct 18, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Hang on, antipodean -- I just happen to have an old book out of the liberry. . .

Oct 18, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Hans Scharoun - Berlin Philharmonie - 1956, 1960-63

Oct 18, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

SDR, nice images. That plan is crazy...it hardly has a 90 degree wall junction in it. Scharoun designed all the light fixtures, and the theatre itself is a wonderful space. I'd live in Berlin just so I could go sit in the reading room at the State Library Scharoun designed everyday. He's da man.

Oct 18, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

and students get a massive discount as well.

the library is amazing and has been featured in several german films.

Oct 18, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Today, those vertical exterior walls would be exchanged for something more "organic" ? There's an interesting disconnect between them and the wild section and plan -- yet if they were load-bearing brick, say, the choice is perfectly rational ?

I guess we've hijacked a thread about aging. Maybe somebody has some current close-ups of the building ? What is that exterior material ? (And what explains that curious little deviation in the wall at the highest point ? Is that an "attic vent" ?)

Oct 18, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I'm still hoping we'll get some examples of poor building performance.

Oct 18, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Hmm -- it's a little "peak" -- or "beak" ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55798582@N00/1462887252/in/photostream/

Oct 21, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: