Archinect
anchor

Brussels and Belgium: what to see?

I'm headed to Belgium for a week in the middle of February.  We'll have an apartment in Brussels for a week, and will definitely spend time in Hasselt as my husband is in an exhibition there.

What to see, beyond Horta? Where to eat that is casual and not too expensive? Anything special for my nine-year-old son (he will love the Comic Strip Center).

Jan 24, 13 9:08 pm
threadkilla

The Atomium!

Jan 25, 13 12:59 am  · 
 · 

the Musical Instrument Museum. http://www.mim.be/

Great art nouveau building, and fun exhibit - you wear wireless headphones, stand on dots on the floor to hear each instrument on display.

Jan 25, 13 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Jadzia

In no particular order

- Le Palais de Justice de Bruxelles by Joseph Poelaert (1866-1883) - Place Poelaert
- Palais Stoclet by Josef Hoffmann (1905-1911) - Avenue Tervuren 279-281
- Banque Lambert ( ING Bank) by SOM Skidmore, Orwings & Merrill with Gordon Bunshaft as chef designer (1949-1964) - Rue Marnix/Rue du Trône
- Maison St-Cyr by Gustave Strauven (1900) - Square Ambiorix 11
- Hôtel Solvay by Victor Horta (1894) - Avenue Louise 224
- Théâtre National de la Communauté Wallonie Bruxelles by SCA Architectes associés (2000-2004) - Boulevard Emile Jacqmain 111

Musée Horta - Rue Américaine 23-25

Parks (if the weather is fine) : Parc de Bruxelles/ Warandepark, Domaine de Laeken,  Parc du Cinquantenaire/ Jubelpark

Antwerp is also quite nice to look around. It takes about 1 hour by car to get there.

Jan 25, 13 3:30 am  · 
 · 

I'd keep an eye on your child as there are some really sick fucks in Belgium (warning:  content at this link is extremely disturbing. Seriously, mind-blowingly disturbing stuff.  The pictures are bad but I'd argue the text is even worse if you dare to read it.)

Yo.

Jan 25, 13 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

One notorious serial killer? You do realize for every serial killer in Europe, there's like 11 in the U.S.?

Jan 25, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Jadzia

Archinect - the place where a simple question about sightseeing  gets comments about pedophilia and serial killers.
I guess dlisted just lost out to this site as my new favorite bookmark.

Jan 26, 13 8:26 am  · 
 · 

If I may advise to you, please vist the " Japanse Tuin", the Japanese Garden with its Japanese Ceremony House Kurokan and the Tea Ceremony House Jyushoan in Hasselt...it is a gift of the japanese city Itami. 

Jan 26, 13 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Thank you Boguslaw, we will! I enjoy Japanese gardens.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Jan 26, 13 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: