Archinect
anchor

Housing in Copenhagen

corrigan

I am moving to Copenhagen, DK to work and am looking for an apartment. Does anyone live there or have any suggestions on getting housing? Thanks

Oct 16, 07 3:14 pm
pandpieri

I am not sure about the situation in Copenhagen and how to find an apartment.

I guess you could look at:

http://www.ledigelejligheder.dk
http://www.ledige-lejligheder.dk

although those sites are in danish, so if you are not Scandinavian it might be hard.

An advice could be to check the Swedish city of Malmö, just over the water (30 minute train ride to central Copenhagen). Sure it is not the best option but as a last resort it might be worth it, at leas for a time, until your social network has rendered you a place to live.......

By the way, where are you heading in Copenhagen, which office?

good luck

Oct 17, 07 3:58 am  · 
 · 

i just returned from spending a week in cph... it's a great city... you'll love it... just watch out for the crazy dane known as percorrell... :)

i don't know of any online sources, but there's a ton of new construction (primarily housing) being built... i'd look for something in the islands brygge area of town... or even out at orestad city... i stayed in norrebro near the red-light district (which is being cleaned up and gentrified) which seems like a pretty cool and eclectic part of town that is near everything... cph is a very expensive city to visit, so i'd imagine that housing isn't cheap either...

good luck...

Oct 17, 07 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Try Christianshavn or Vesterbrø. When I lived there, I stayed in Dronningens Tværgade, near the Royal Gardens. Beautiful, beautiful city .... expensive as hell. Also, once you go grocery shopping, go to Magasin (near the Kongen Nytorv Metro stop) or any of the Irma chains throughout the city.

And .... get a bike.

Oct 17, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 

let me correct myself... the area that i stayed in was vesterbro, not norrebro...

and to second SMSS, get a bike... it's the only way to go... 37% of copenhageners commute to work on bike...

Oct 17, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
corrigan

pandpieri I'm going to work at JDS which is in Vesterbro

Thanks for the advice!

Oct 17, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

Hey corrigan,

If you don't mind sharing a little, how has the internship been? I've been thinking of working there. I've talked with some people at BIG, and they all said to work there of course, but I was wondering how JDS is for you. How has the housing worked out?

Jan 3, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Also, once you go grocery shopping, go to Magasin (near the Kongen Nytorv Metro stop) or any of the Irma chains throughout the city.

And .... get a bike."

I second the third --- but realy , magasin and Irma ; well if money is not the problem....

Jan 3, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
corrigan

jumphigh

It has been a great experience at JDS. It is a smaller office, so you don't get lost in the mix. The people here are incredibly talented, really an exciting place to be.

Housing is expensive, but ok. It is hard to get an apartment, easier and cheaper to get a room...

Jan 4, 08 2:51 am  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

Thanks. I kind of figured housing would be expensive there.

Any thoughts as to the differences between JDS and BIG?

Jan 4, 08 9:27 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

About housing it is a good idear to look into a particular marked -- don't know the english term, but it is those flats you can rent while the owner is abroad for some reson don't uses the flat for halve a year or those flats who parents bought for their children while studying.
This is in fact the easiest way to find a place in copenhagen , a lot of flats stand emty for one reson or another, and the owners are often ancious to save the expenses even down to 3 months , I can tell you the danish word for this sort of rent flats m I don't know if there are an english word for that I guess there are , but I don't has it.

Anyway this niche are where a lot of students end , --- renting a flat for 3 months or a year and constantly looking for another place to stay ; but when you are here, that is not so difficult either, as long as you know the rent.

Jan 4, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: