Archinect
anchor

Designer crossover into architecture

csolomon

I am a print, web and product designer with an MFA in Design, an art background, and a desire for the next natural career progression, which feels to be architecture. I am interested in studying at programs like the U. of Oregon and Auburn University's Rural Studio Program. I am also considering the options of transitioning into architecture without another master's degree and having to sell my second kidney for it. Anyone have advise or words of wisdom?

Oct 16, 07 9:23 am
liberty bell

If you are interested in being a registered architect:

Becoming licensed without an additional degree is going to be very difficult, though there are a few states where you can become licensed via professional experience in the field. Start at the NCARB website, and then look at this chart that explains how you can get licensed without a degree in some states.

If you are not interested in being registered:

You can do a lot of design, including most residential work, without a license.

In either case, you should try to find a job in a firm that will take you on with the experience you do have. Probably a mid-size firm that needs help in marketing, or possibly furniture/exhibit design, could use your abilities. But do give actual practice a try first to make sure it really *is* the direction you want to go. That's the most important advice I think you will hear.

Oct 16, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

You could actually design anything you want, you just can't stamp those documents (which really isn't a problem) or have someone else figure out how to build it.

I'd second lb's comment. Make sure it's what you want to do. It seems really cool and fun, but the reality can be quite different (unlike graphic and web design).

Try working for a firm and watch closely, listen attentively, etc. After a while, if you still want to do it, go to school. While I love my graphic and web knowledge, it is the architecture background that I cherish (the design part, which you typically will not get in graphics/web).

You might try 3D too. Play around with rendering, etc. It'll help you get exposure to how things are built, could make you some money, etc.
You'd have to learn it at some point for architecture, and it would only help your graphic/web skills too.

Oct 16, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
olderthandirt

i did what you are thinking of...moved from industrial design to architecture...never looked back (except at the really cool stuff apple is doing...and maybe pinin farina)...

Oct 17, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
csolomon

thanks for your responses. after some reflection on these issues (and a heart-to-heart with an architect friend of mine) i think i will try and gain entry into the field by - hopefully - working for a small firm that appreciates my background as is and potentially work my way up the chain.

Oct 22, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

you sold your first kidney already?

Oct 22, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
csolomon

that first kidney - in the form of an MFA degree in the less than affordable nyc.

Oct 22, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

my sister goes to NYC free on some math dance scholarship to get her masters currently.

so you have no load payment from the sale?

Oct 22, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: