Archinect
anchor

SOM Interviews

TAEX

Hello everybody,

I have an interview with SOM Chicago next week for Intern Architect position.

Please help me out with these questions:

1- Starting salaries for Intern and Junior Architects?

2- Any Interview advice or Tips?

3- My English is not perfect yet. Will they see this as something negative?

ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS?

Thank you so much?

Oct 15, 07 7:39 pm
erjonsn

don't ask for a salary, as for room and board in the closet?

Oct 15, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wow, you actually got an interview out of them? Their Wall Street office is an impenetrable fortress.

Oct 15, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

TAEX.. there will likely be a 2+ hr design (CAD and 3d modelling) exercise.. probably on your second interview there, but you never know. My advice is bring your laptop with you, discretely. That way you can offer to pull it out and use it instead of whatever machine they stick you at, with unfamiliar settings etc. At the very least, they will expect you to demonstrate some design sense and, more importantly, pure CADing/modelling speed.

Oct 15, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
meowmeow

I got through 2 interviews for the NYC office but didn't get an offer. My friend interned there one summer and was offered 45k after graduation.

Oct 15, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
joe

trick about the wall street office is that you have to know someone in there to get your name noticed. and even then you go in and interview and then.... bah, just like any other job interview really. three younger guys interviewed me, but no luck though. sucks cause I really wanted to move to NYC.

anyway, good luck. I wouldnt sweat it, just be yourself as always.

Oct 16, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

How do I make friends with someone in the SOM NY office? Specifically the hiring partner or director of HR? Does anyone know which bars these folks hang at?

Oct 16, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
any

You don't really need to know someone to get a job at SOM, it all depends on you / your portfolio of school work / portfolio of professional work / and how you present yourself. Be honest and explain your school projects, show your professional experience, if you don't have any / bring some of your school projects where you used Cad drawings. I really doubt they will ask you to pass a CAD test, i never heard they ask that. Salary prbably depends on your experience, prbably will be a starts of 45K or more. It is ok to ask about salary, your visa (if you need it), don't be affraid to ask all the questions you may have. It shows that you are thoughtfull and after all, you are getting a job there and will be there for a while, you need to know before you accept the offer. ASK what you are going to work on, which project, and what your responsibilities would be. Make sure that you are clear on terma of agreement.
Good Luck

THE INSIDER

Oct 16, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

any, can you get me an ear with SOM NYC? Their office is a fortress, I don't know about Cha town, but their Wall st office has dudes with fully automatic weapons walking around outside of it and I can't get anybody to email me back.

Oct 16, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd like to work for som too. could somebody give a job there? please?

Oct 16, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
joe

haha, well my in was that I had a professor that knew a few people over there that went to school with him a few years back. he would go in and use the laser cutter and shit for competitions afterhours, must be nice to have full access to that.
also yeah there are people outside with guns - maybe around the corner, but it is actually pretty impossible to get in the building and go up. they literally had to come down to the lobby to get me AFTER I signed in. I was very suprised but went with it and had a decent interview. things just didnt line up.

Oct 16, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Anyone out there with inside knowledge of SOM SF? Is it a good place to work generally? I have an offer of an introduction to their office if I'm interested. I just don't know that much about SOM, apart from they are very good technically etc.

Oct 16, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Lower Manhattan is a little police state.

Oct 16, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

haha Apurimac. It's not bad if you enjoy constant surveillance.. and the LMDC Downtown Alliance guys in red pith hats and khakis were pretty funny. Just hope Rudy doesn't become ruler of the world next year

Oct 17, 07 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I worked at SOM Chicago for several years and still know many people there. The last I heard was that they were giving starting salaries of about $40,000 to people with Masters Degrees fresh from school, but this was hourly and based on a 37.5 hour work week (and if you have any familiarity with this firm, you know you'll be working a lot more than 37.5 hours). And you lose your hourly status after you are "promoted" the first time.

SOM Chicago was really making a big hiring push earlier this year from what I've heard from insiders, but I don't know if this is still going on. At the interview they will basically just want to see your portfolio and your resume. If you have a lot of 3D skills, you will immediately be tagged a "designer" which really means you'll be working on renderings all day. Good luck!

Dec 20, 07 2:28 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

If you read Owings books, 'The Spaces in Between' you will realise why they have dudes with automatic machine guns outside the office!

Dec 20, 07 4:21 am  · 
 · 
under

SOM Chicago is very busy and like everybody else, looking for talent.
Of particular need are people who understand design intent, are capable of contributing to it, and can communicate it. The ability to create quick design sketches in rhino, max, viz and photoshop (or some combo therof) is more important than the cad stuff, which can be taught. But senior design talent is being sought as well.

Dec 27, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: