Archinect
anchor

Can I start recording IDP training units?

archMONSTER

I graduated from ASU last semester (Fall ’07) with a BSD which is a 4 year PRE-professional degree. I decided to take a year off in between my graduate studies before I apply back to ASU to get my professional degree. So as of right now I am currently working and about to fill out my employment verification form to start accumulating IDP credits. However I came across this on the IDP website:

"NCARB conditions specify that no training units may be earned prior to satisfactory completion of:
1. three years in an NAAB- or CACB-accredited professional degree program.

2. the third year of a four-year pre-professional degree program in architecture accepted for direct entry to an NAAB- or CACB-accredited professional degree program;

3. one year in an NAAB- or CACB-accredited Master of Architecture degree program for interns with undergraduate degrees in another discipline

4. 96 semester credit hours as evaluated by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) in accordance with NCARB's Education Requirement, of which no more than 60 hours can be in the general education subject area."

Also another question is that I heard the state of New York does not accept experience earned while you are enrolled as a full time student. Does that apply in the state of Arizona? Where can I access that information because I would like to work part time through my graduate studies.

Thanks!!

Oct 14, 07 3:31 pm
Gloominati

Yes, you can start counting experience if you graduated from a 4-year pre-professional architecture major.

Yes, you can't count experience earned while enrolled as a student (unless enrolled less than half time) in New York.
I don't think that Arizona has any such restriction - in fact isn't Arizona the last remaining state with some IDP-alternative still in place? Call the Arizona board for any clarification of state-specific policies.

Oct 14, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

#'s 1,3, and 4 don’t apply to me. The way I am reading #2, “accepted for direct entry to an NAAB- or CACB-accredited professional degree program” it restricts me because I am yet to be accepted in a professional degree program. I'm confused.

Oct 14, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

No, it doesn't mean that you personally need to be accepted into an M.Arch program. It means that your pre-professional program needs to be one that would typically prepare its grads to enter into an M.Arch program. Do grads of your program ever get "advanced standing" in any M.Arch programs? In other words, was your undergrad considered to be a "4" component of a typical "4+2" program (4 year pre-pro degree followed by 2-year M.Arch)? If so then you will not have any problem counting experience earned after your third year of that program. On the other hand, if no graduates from that 4-year program have ever gained acceptance into a 2 or 2.5 year M.Arch program designed for people who have a "4" component, at ANY school, then NCARB may disallow it.

Oct 14, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

To add a concrete example:
I graduated from a 4-year pre-professional architecture major. I went to an M.Arch program that does not allow advanced standing (or a "2" program) to anybody, so I went for 3 years. Nonetheless, because my undergrad program was considered a "4" component of a "4+2" program and its grads routinely got direct entry into "2" programs at schools that have them, for NCARB IDP purposes I was able to count all of the IDP experience units that I earned in jobs that I held following my 3rd year of undergrad (but I was not allowed to count some of them in New York!)

Oct 14, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER
http://design.asu.edu/sala/undergraduate.shtml#ARCH

Oh okay I gotcha... I was defiantly reading that wrong. Yes ASU has the 4 + 2 program so I’m safe... was getting a little worried and forgot how to read lol. Thanks! :)

Oct 14, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: