Archinect
anchor

Controversial Demolitions in NYC

standaman

What are some famous historical buildings that are long gone in NYC? Which demolitions or redevelopments in NYC do you think were the most controversial or widely publicized from a preservational perspective? The more recent the better.

Thanks.

Oct 14, 07 4:52 am
jones

Allied Works' project on the Ed Stone building. Very recent, controversial, and publicized.

Oct 14, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
sgs23

The original Pennsylvania Station by Mckim Meade and White destroyed in the early 1960's was the catalyst for the present preservation movement in NYC. Controversial, widely publicized, and long gone. I would think whatever you're looking for, that would be where you would want to start.

Oct 14, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

"there are those random collapses of building that are convenient for the developer, the the newspapers, but i can't remember all the recent one's."

Is that meant to be a deadpan comment on 9/11?

Oct 14, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I don't know the US equivalent organisation, but in the UK we have The Twentieth Century Society, who lobby and fundraise on behalf of the soon-to-be-no-more bits of the built environment, if they were built C20.

Oct 15, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
mdler

there was a building in Brooklyn that caught on fire about a year ago (in Greenpoint, I believe). Apaprentlly the developer wanted to re-develop the site anywyas, so the xtra insurance $$$ wasnt a bad thing

Oct 15, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yeah mdler that was the old greenpoint ferry terminal, that fire was massive. the same developer had a building "burn down" years before in another area of dumbo. still no recourse or investigation against him for burning down 8 city blocks.

Oct 16, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
JG

St. Vincents in the Village, a somewhat ugly but distinctive modernist hospital, is about to be torn down.

360 West 11th St. Julian Schanbels hot pink pallazzo for the uber-rich is very controversial.

and of course 2 Columbus Circle (MoAD). Be sure to read Tom Wolfe's scathing critique of the landmarks commision and the building as well as his take-down of the Whitney.

check curbed.com for more on these and others.

Oct 16, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

"no rondo...check papers for collapsing buildings in harlem, grocery stores, etc..."

===============

I know, but there's a school of thought that claims likewise for 9/11...

Oct 16, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I agree with Rondo...but who cares, we are bringing freedom to Iraq

Oct 16, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

jones,
I'm not too familiar with the background behind ed stone museum design by allied design. I had heard about the commission, but can you (or anybody else) elaborate specifically on why it was controversial?

Oct 18, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

tom wolfe knows nothing worthwhile about architecture and eisenman proved it

Oct 18, 07 3:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: