Archinect
anchor

Parallels + 3ds max

beefeaters

Hey everyone, not sure if this has been asked before, i searched but didnt get anything useful. I have parallels and am running 3ds max on it, but parallels doesnt support 3d acceleration / directx so thus i have to use software rendering for the UI. Ive heard something about Heidi being good?? but cant find that option. SHould i just install boot camp and run 3ds max that way, because the software rendering gets extremely slow on large files. Thanks for any suggestions!

Oct 12, 07 2:49 pm
Living in Gin

If you install Boot Camp, wait until Leopard comes out. Beta releases of Boot Camp will no longer be supported once that happens.

Nothing official yet, but the online rumor mill is pointing toward October 26th as the most likely Leopard release date.

Oct 12, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

LiG--are you implying that beta users won't be able to upgrade to the version in Leopard? Just curious where you're getting this information…(I'd like to read it too)

Oct 12, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

The beta releases may not be supported but they will still work. I dont have time to wait. My main question is, Ive heard about autodesks software rendering graphics called Heidi, but I cant find that as an option, all I have available to me is Software, OpenGL and DirectX. I have to use software right now and it really blows.

Oct 12, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Boot Camp info here
Oct 12, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Thanks for the link LIG. I didnt know that, that sucks! I am planning on updating anyways. But for now, is there anyone that runs parallels and 3ds max? Or is it better to just use boot camp? Thanks!

Oct 12, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

it will still work(I've forgotten to upgrade to 1.4 and haven't had any problems) and you won't lose anything if you upgrade.

Bootcamp=native windows, parallels is emulation so it won't be as stable/fast as bootcamp, though it is getting better.

The upcoming version of bootcamp seems like it will be similar to what parallels does (you could run everything from OSX), though better integrated and with more hardware support.

Oct 12, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

wow.. now i really hv to rethink about buying a macbook pro if its true.

Oct 15, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

this should help clear up any bootcamp/Leopard confusion…

OSX-leopard

Oct 16, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I want Leopard to have my children.

Oct 16, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

do you think its worth upgrading right away? can i expect bugs, i know they test with beta and everything but i just created a partion that im using to run vista, and this shit sucks!

not to compare osx with windows or anything....

Oct 16, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

From what I've read on some Mac forums I frequent, any bugs in the first release of a new OS update are usually rare, minor, and patched via software updates within a few days. I don't think you have anything to worry about; this isn't Microsoft we're talking about here.

Besides, Leopard isn't the brand-new operating system that Vista claims to be, but is simply an updated release of the rock-solid Mac OS X operating system.

Oct 16, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
count spectacula

Just for the record.... boot camp will not do things any differently in Leopard than it does in Tiger. NOT a replacement for Parallels, just a way to run Windows natively.

Also, you may want to consider checking out VMWare's Fusion, which is a direct competitor to Parallels. I have read good things about it... reviews say it is better than Parallels in a lot of way including 3D acceleration. I believe you can download a free demo.

Oct 20, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: