Archinect
anchor

London for work

contemax

I'm planing to move from nyc to london. actually I'm seeking a job and also a new home there. has anyone some good advice. like good areas to live how to find apt's maybe some good architecture offices. any advice is helpful.
thanx a lot

Oct 11, 07 4:16 pm
vado retro

do you have a work visa?

Oct 11, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
contemax

I'm european.. actually my american visa is expiring...

Oct 11, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
lisaletostak

contemax, do you know what price range you are looking at for flats? gumtree.com is where many people find a flat/flatshare. rent is paid by the week and is at the least 100 pounds a week. well maybe down to 70 a week but that will definitely be a flatshare. if you have any friends in london if i were you i would just crash on their couch for a week until you can find a place. it's going to be easier and cheaper to find a place once you are there. i tried arranging a place online before i moved and it didn't work. yeah but gumtree is probably the way to go.

Oct 11, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

norman foster is hiring.. heard that they're looking for 50 ppl from all sides of the world

Oct 11, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Work is abundant, life is expensive, London is wonderful. Wait until you know where you are going to work before you commit to a place to stay. Transport in and across London, from the wrong starting point, can cost an hour a day. Get a bicycle, and lights and waterproofs. Rock out on the sheer beingness of being here. Hang tough, be sure, et cetera.

Oct 12, 07 6:50 am  · 
 · 
ArT.

I'm also looking at moving to London. American, though. Does anyone have any advice on getting a visa? Someone suggested enrolling in a class in order to get a temporary student visa. Also, I would certainly love to works at Foster's, or Rogers'. Any advice on that, other than just sending them a resume? London is pretty great, so I'm pretty excited about it. yea

Oct 12, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
lisaletostak

ArT - i'm not sure if you can get a student visa without being enrolled full time. you might be able to, but i would check into that. BUNAC does a 6 month work visa for anyone who has recently been a student. you can get up to 2 total but they can't be back to back (you have to go back to school in between, although it can be study abroad). i did this and it was great, BUT employers know you can only legally work for 6 months and many don't want to employ you if you can only work for 6 months. although i wasn't looking for work in the architecture field - maybe there is enough work for a firm to want to sponsor you. if you go to school for a degree in london, then you can get a student work visa for sure and if you graduate then you are allowed to work in the U.K. for one year after you graduate too. and then hopefully you can get sponsored after the one year. or you can get married to a brit by then :) just google it and you can find the BUNAC and U.K. work visa info.

i wish it was easier to work there for americans. now anyone in the e.u. can move and work anywhere else in the e.u. i wish america was part of the e.u. :( ok that obviously won't happen but i wish america had an agreement with all the countries in the e.u. where anyone can work anywhere within those countries.

Oct 12, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
lisaletostak

also i have a question. how does licensing work between England and the U.S.? if you are american, then go to arch school in london, can you get licensed in the u.k. (if you can get a work permit)? can you move back to the u.s. after london arch school and start your IDP and get licensed? can you do your IDP for american licensure in the U.K.? (i realize i can most likely find these answers on various websites, but i figured if someone had done it before i could get the short version here)

Oct 12, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
ArT.

lisaletostak,

Wow, thanks. that was thorough. Good to know about the part time vs. full time as well as the BUNAC program. I'll definitely look into it. I saw some information a while ago about some sort of point system, where you filled out an application and they added up points based on your education, language skills etc. and gave you a score that would indicate whether they would give you a visa.

Licensing is another complicated issue. I know a guy that went to Wash U, then the GSD, then moved to Vienna and has worked for more than 10 years and they just recently recognized his degree. From what I understand, there may be a way to essentially petition your foreign degree to stand in for a US degree, but it takes awhile and seems to be quite a hassle. Also, maybe I'm wrong about this in the UK, but I thought that the European "diploma" served as your license. That is how it works in Austria, so if you finish school there, you are licensed. UK?

Oct 12, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: