Archinect
anchor

Wood structures

bowling_ball

Anybody know of any interesting projects (not restricted to buildings) that employ wood as structure in innovative or novel ways?

I heard about a random guy on the east coast of Canada (an area known for crazies) who mortise-and-tenoned every piece of the frame of his house as he was building it. Apparently, "because he could."

That's a strange example, but if anybody knows of anything I should check out on this topic, I'm interested.

Oct 10, 07 8:06 pm
xtbl

just off the top of my head:

frei otto

there are others, but i can't think of them @ the moment.

i'll post them when i can 'member.

Oct 10, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

Oct 10, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Oh, them Greene bros. . .yummy. So there are places where trim is made to match in-the-round joinery; it's all "real" and of a piece. Gorgeous stuff. Just look at the drawings to see what the spirit was all about. . .

I know a New Hampshire native who swears that a neighbor there built a house of cherry. The whole house, including the framing.

Oct 10, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Damn it dammson. You beat me to it. I love the craftsmanship of the Gamble house. Amazing work.

Zumthor has some great buildings, too, but its too late for me to look them up. Maybe tomorrow.

Oct 11, 07 2:21 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Nice! I'm vaguely familiar with all the spots posted here. Thanks for reminding me!

I'm still looking for more. I'm going to do some 'homework' now to learn a bit more.

I'm going to look a bit at Japanese building methods that don't use fasteners (at least I don't think they used to) but instead rely on joinery. Hmmmmm.....

Oct 11, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Oh, there's a lot there. I'll post examples from literature I have, if you like.

Oct 11, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Oh, most definitely! Whenever you have a chance, I'm always looking for more info and inspiration. It's mucho appreciated - especially when you know what you're interested in, but don't know how to find it.

Oct 12, 07 2:57 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Get out your chisels. . .

Oct 15, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

droooooooool...

Oct 15, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

is that kyoto?

Oct 15, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

m&t the way things used to be done. That's also how you get 4 story buildings with an obvious slant to them - cause they are tight as fuck, and won't fall down. Anyway...

no one mentioned the late Fay Jones

Oct 15, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah, Fay Jones certainly had his own way with wood.

Bossman, those are pages from an unidentified source ("Miscellaneous manuals in Japanese only, not generally available in U.S."), reprinted in a paperback book called "Wood Connections," Robin Hood Publications, Berkeley, CA; second printing 1975.

Oct 15, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

One reason why Wright was ignored if not reviled by the architectural establishment for so long was undoubtedly his somewhat cavalier (or "individualistic") way with detail. This is the roof fascia detail as drawn for the first Usonian house (Jacobs I); the note says "raggle [?] mastic." No ugly metal flashing for Mr Wright -- just an open invitation to rot, decay and water penetration. (Virtually all restorations of these houses have standard flashing here. . .)

Oct 15, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: