Archinect
anchor

residential engineering

le bossman

does anyone know where i can find like "the complete idiots guide to engineering basic wood structures" or something of the sort?

i need to know things like how does one determine live load deflection, dead and live loads, etc. and how to apply them. the span charts and formulas in the codes and various product binders are simple enough that if i had a basic refresher, i'd probably be fine designing basic structures. i just don't think it's that necessary to get an engineer on board for some basic rule of thumb design.

Oct 10, 07 7:39 pm
won and done williams

i don't know if you ever had to buy it in grad school, bossman, but engel's "structural principles" is a pretty nice reference book, but definitely not for dummies. i've also been using "the craft of modular post and beam" by james mitchell for a residential project i've been trying to get off the ground, but that is definitely for dummies and probably doesn't have the hardcore structural info you're looking for.

Oct 10, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

thanks fidler, but i'm not looking for a textbook, at least i don't think. i want something more specific to the likes of sizing beams and picking connections rather than the general intro to statics and dynamics. all i really need are the basic steps.

Oct 11, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
emaze

tji has some useful products that can get you in the ballpark...

Oct 11, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

right. this software is what inspired my quest.

Oct 11, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Unfortunately I don't think there is a one book that addresses wood structural design in a simple way. Yes, basic platform framing is straight forward. But, as you move away from the conventional it gets tougher to find a good reference. I just picked up the Wood Structural Design Data manual from the American Forest & Paper Association. Nice text with basic formulas. Look for wood frame carpentry texts on ebay. They can be had cheap and have lots of good information. Nothing replaces practical experience. Plus.I have learned alot by using a structural engineer on 90 percent of my projects

Oct 11, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

huh. i'm mostly dealing with conventional stuff, and everything i send to the eng comes back as i drew it. but, i've observed some architects are under confident on these basic issues, and frankly i'm a bit sick of it.

Oct 11, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

We build a lot in wood back in New Zealand, and the basic illustrated standard we use is NZS 3604 for Light Timber Framed Buildings. It sounds like the kind of text that you're looking for, as it has tables for different spans and the connections you need for each situation. It's all in metric though.

Nov 28, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

We build a lot in wood back in New Zealand, and the basic illustrated standard we use is NZS 3604 for Light Timber Framed Buildings. It sounds like the kind of text that you're looking for, as it has tables for different spans and the connections you need for each situation. It's all in metric though.

Nov 28, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah, i think i've come across this. metric would unfortunately be a problem. i'm curious: do you know of any actual dimensional difference between the building materials used by nations on the imperial system and those on the metric system? a lot of countries still build with imperial units although they design in metrics. i would imaging translating nominal dimensions from imperial inches to metric mm would be relatively accurate.

Nov 28, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

design and construction of wood framed buildings. by newman.

Nov 28, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Yes, metric and imperial dimension conversions, whether it be for a specific material or detail, are essentially the same. Standard metric wood members for instance, are based on the old imperial sizing e.g. 2"x4" is a standard wall framing stud size (100x50), 2"x6" or 2"x10" are standard joist framing sizes in the equivalent metric (150x50 and 250x50). Standard door leaf widths are odd sizes in metric e.g. 710mm, 760mm, 810mm, because they are based on original imperial widths.

Documentation on metric versus imperial is another story. Wow, how do you image in 3/32" scale? There are only about 6 scales that we used in metric.

Nov 28, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

bossman, did you order that book from amazon? how was it? i'm looking for a similar reference.

Nov 28, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

not yet. i probably will soon though; i'm saving cash for christmas/ski season. i checked the 'look inside' think on amazon, i think it's good. get the graphic guide to framing also.

Nov 28, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

antipodean

i knew it man! all we have to do is give the fucking builders metric tapes and switch on the metric button in autocad. then as a nation we will be mostly metric. what a rediculous joke.

Nov 28, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i found a few useful books thumbing through the do-it-yourself section at borders last night:

these two small books had good graphical illustration of basic framing and foundation details and rules of thumb for sizing foundation walls and footings for different uses, soil bearing pressures, etc, with span tables accompanied by examples (such as "living space w/ concrete floor and gyp. board ceiling below):

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Foundations-Building-Remodeling-Basics/dp/1931131503/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197385937&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Framing-Building-Remodeling-Basics/dp/193113149X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197385997&sr=1-1

these two books had good graphical illustrations of how residential plumbing and electrical systems work, with good glossaries explaining terminology. i would definitely recommend both of these as i struggle with these systems and the architects who no nothing about them:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiring-House-Pros-Rex-Cauldwell/dp/156158942X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197386095&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-Pros-Rex-Cauldwell/dp/1561588172/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197386151&sr=1-3

Dec 11, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: