Archinect
anchor

Architectural Photography

quizzical

I'd like to ask what sort of experience others have when putting photographers under contract for a photoshoot.

We're finding the photo community to be unrealistically restrictive about usage rights when we're the ones paying 100% of the cost of the shoot. We're also concerned about the photographer being able to use these images -- even sell use of these images to others -- without our prior approval and without us receiving any economic consideration when that happens.

We respect the creative artistry of a good architectural photographer and we really don't mind the photographer retaining ownership of the images. However, we do think the relationship should be more 'partner-like" when we're footing the entire bill.

Heck, we negotiate non-exclusive licenses and indemnification provisions regarding shared ownership of drawings with our clients all the time ... all we're really concerned about is the unauthorized reuse of those documents. It seems to me a similar concept ought to be possible with photographers.

Anybody have any experience with this they'd like to share?

Oct 10, 07 12:03 pm
impalajunkie

dump him and find another guy with an expensive camera on craigslist.

I did this and paid a guy $20/hr. He sent me a dvd with all his images. $80 total, done.

cheaper guys may require a little mroe direction, get this angle, sunset/sunrise shot, etc.

Oct 10, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

we use this guy....

$5000 a day aint cheap, though

Oct 10, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

And isn't it his birthday today or something?

Oct 10, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

yes it is

Oct 10, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

come on guys ... I'm not looking for a new photographer (especially one who is 95 years old) ... I'm looking for thoughts / experiences that can lead to a more equitable and long-term working relationship with the really good ones we use now.

Oct 10, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

he is a really good one that we use now...my partner just got off the phone with him; wished him a happy 97th birthday. He still takes pictures

Oct 10, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

I've been thinking about this and you might be able to negotiate something citing client confidentiality or similar contract terms.

However, think of their services in relation to an architect's services: Would you allow your client to restrict you from selling "their project" to another client with the same program and similar site, even though they paid for it? Should they get some of the profits if you did?

Oct 10, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

You definitely need to shop around for the photographer and be as specific in your contract terms as you are when it comes to rights to your drawings. In all reality, anyone can photograph a building and put those photos up anywhere they please, so neither party should have much concern regarding ownership, which I definitely felt was odd when negotiating with photographers. All you need is a camera and photoshop these days...

The trick is to find a good photographer working under a major-name photographer. They typically have their own equipment and only work at those firms to get the experience and to get their name out there. Find one you like, get his/her contact info and then contract directly with the individual from there on. Many of these individuals shoot for the firm a few days a week, shoot through their own references the other day or two, and then edit all of their images on the weekend for both themselves and the firm.

The plus of this method is that they're usually young and are very liberal with usage-rights and the like, which you are concerned with. Also they don't have the contacts quite yet to go selling your images everywhere.

Just make sure your firm hasn't used said major name photography firm before stealing their photographer, because then that's just bad business.

Oct 10, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.thorstenklapsch.de/
Oct 11, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Primary Reps

Most architectural photographers will only reuse work for marketing themselves — not selling it for other commercial paid work. The best solution would be have the photographer sign a non disclosure agreement before the shoot — this would solve your problem and then not allow the "reuse" of the work.

Nov 30, 09 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I've been quite shocked learning how usage rights work for photography. Personally, I find it mostly absurd. A tangent, but I had one image I wanted to buy on Getty for a client and the usage would have brought the cost to $18000!! F*$@ing insane!

Photographers are not hard to find (and there are more and more 'aspiring' photographers out there, esp given the economy). You could probably find a student that would take the time for trial/error to get it right.

Just write the contract how you want it to be.

Nov 30, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
bdickson

I'm an architectural photographer and I'll be happy to negotiate usage rights and my rates are reasonable. Check out my portfolio at: braddicksonimages.com

Jan 10, 11 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: