Archinect
anchor

replacement roof for greenhouse/solarium

pdeaton

We have a renovation project with a large prefabricated lean-to type solarium that was added to the main building. It's about 20 years old and the roof panels are leaking. Local glazing companies say that the gaskets are no longer available that will fit the profile of the metal extrusions in the roof framing. The Owner wants to add a solid roof over the existing structure. I am looking at standing seam metal or something translucent. Has anyone done a project like this? Even if the existing structure can support the new roof, I wonder about connection details, insulation, etc. Thanks.

Oct 10, 07 11:17 am
ih1542006

Is the company that made the greenhouse out of business ? Many of the green house companies and solarium companies share off the shelf components. Like gaskets. So, I not so sure you can't get them at all. If you can get a piece of the gasket and cut a section to get an acurate profile, it would help when dicussing with other greenhouse companies. The glass can easily be replaced.
Adding a solid roof sounds like a bad idea and I would probably stay away from suggesting hopw to do that. Unless you get a structural engineer to approve the method.

Oct 10, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
spark

I would suggest that you consider kalwall - it is lightweight, translucent, has insulative qualities and could probably pretty easily be detailed to mount over the existing structure.

Oct 10, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
pdeaton

Studio43, the original greenhouse company was bought out by another company. The new company discontinued the original product line and provides neither service nor support for it.

Spark, thanks for the Kalwall suggestion. We've used that before on other projects (vertically) but it didn't occur to me to use on this one. I've been in touch with the sales rep and they have done this kind of thing before, so they are taking a look at it. They also do their own installation.

Oct 15, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: