Archinect
anchor

a car in sheeps clothing or is it a wolf?

strlt_typ
d&d electric vehicle conversion
Mar 24, 09 12:01 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

or you can just buy one already converted...

from wilderness e.v.

We offer a line of electric Volkswagens from the years 1953 - 1979. These cars are converted by us using Kit #1 or Kit #2 and run solely on electricity. Recharging can be done at home by plugging in to the utility power grid or by installing a solar system and running on sunshine (see Kit Extras page). We offer these cars on an availability basis only and our inventory is constantly changing. Please e-mail or call for current stock. Prices start at $4,200.00 for our basic model. Accessories and upgrades are available.

they also sell the conversion kits by themselves.

Mar 24, 09 1:00 am  · 
 · 
SDR

They're kidding -- a vintage Bug, electrified, for $4200 ? Unbelievable. Where are they located ?

Mar 24, 09 1:56 am  · 
 · 
SDR

The Datsun wagon is a collectable classic. What was the deal ? Guys ran those things stock -- or souped them up ? I can't remember.

Mar 24, 09 1:57 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

according to the website, they are located in utah. the price is unbelievable but the $4,200 must be on their low side and uncommon. i think the average price might be in the $5,000. i did a search on craigslist and immediately saw two vw bugs: a '74 for $700 and a '69 for $650. wilderness e.v.'s more expensive conversion kit for the bug is $3100. plus batteries and labor.

Mar 24, 09 11:41 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Trading that unforgettable VW engine chirp, for a silent Beetle, would be a unique experience. For something even more unique, how about an electric SAAB 93 -- I mean the late-fifties Beetle-sized FWD 3-cylinder teardrop two-door. Sweet ! I had two of 'em. First one had "suicide doors". . .

Mar 24, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

*sigh* no car should be glorified.

Mar 24, 09 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Humph. Bicycles, maybe ? I love my new Downtube Mini folder. . .

Mar 24, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'd go for an electric kharmen ghia - one of the best looking cars ever.

Mar 24, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

do any of these burn rubber? i like to burn rubber.

Mar 24, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Electric motors are supposed to have maximum torque at [zero] RPM, aren't they ?

You could pop a wheelie with a new Beetle, according to my friend. . .

Mar 24, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

anyone catch the top gear last night about the hydrogen powered honda clarity? $600/mo to lease for southern californians.

http://www.topgear.com/us/videos/

Mar 24, 09 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

top gear is also doin' a seven thousand dollar 70 mpg, 0-60 in 7 sec rebuild of an old vw rabbit...

Mar 24, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

What is the power source for that car, vado ?

Mar 24, 09 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
The Datsun wagon is a collectable classic. What was the deal ? Guys ran those things stock -- or souped them up ? I can't remember.

popular with motor swaps, also...

For something even more unique, how about an electric SAAB 93 -- I mean the late-fifties Beetle-sized FWD 3-cylinder teardrop two-door. Sweet ! I had two of 'em. First one had "suicide doors".

nice! it looks futuristic, which may make it a perfect candidate for conversion. looks like a rarity but not extremely expensive if you can find one. i found an ebay link of one that sold for $3400. you might get some criticisms from purists for converting one to electric though.

Mar 24, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh man this kid's family down the street when i was growin up had a saab like that we thought it was so wierd. they also had a benseji which we also thought was wierd. both are cool now though. sdr it's called ProjectSipster.

Mar 24, 09 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks for the info and great pic, dammson. Let's see -- this Beetle-sized car (circa 1957) has a 750 cc two-cycle in-line 3-cylinder engine, unit body, really sturdy bumpers, plywood floor panels below the mats, and upholstery that looks a lot like blue-striped mattress ticking, trimmed with vinyl. Small trunk with fold-down rear seat back -- for skis ? The rear-hinged door has a fat leather restraint strap. The grill is cast alloy. There is a window shade over the radiator (for cold-weather warm-up), operated by a cord and pulleys from the dash. And the coolest thing of all, to me: the starter lacks an engagement solenoid. Instead, to start you turn the key, grasp a little T-handle that protrudes below the dash, put your thumb on the dash and pull with two fingers. This pulls the starter to the flywheel and turns on the motor. Presto, the motor is running. It's like a manual transmission for the starter -- more driver involvement. Love it. Oh yeah -- the tranny is "three-on-the-tree" with free-wheeling (engine returns to idle when coasting). Later models (the 95 wagon and 96 sedan) has four speeds and, later, a British V4 four-cycle engine.

Not a sports car, but light and spry. Available with big cloth sunroof. Fun. Don't forget to put oil in the gas, or to replace the winter thermostat with the summer one, or you'll fry the engine. Factory-rebuilt replacement, installed, c 1967: $250. My friend and I had two of these in succession, each, in rural SE Massachusetts, in the mid-sixties. My first one was gray, with suicide doors; second was a nice blue (no whitewall tires, thank you). I painted the wheels on that one red-oxide primer -- note chrome "beauty rims." Sweet. Wish I could do it all over again.

Then I got my first new car, a '68 Beetle (first year with new bumpers and tail-lights, last year with body-color running board). Cost, with AM radio: $1776.

Mar 24, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks vado. All kinds of cool stuff going on now, I guess. It's about time. .?

Mar 24, 09 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
the starter lacks an engagement solenoid. Instead, to start you turn the key, grasp a little T-handle that protrudes below the dash, put your thumb on the dash and pull with two fingers.

just like a lawn mower!

Mar 24, 09 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Kinda -- same little T-handle -- but on a lawn mower that regulates the throttle, or something, no ?

It's very. . .kinetic.

Mar 24, 09 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

oops...i was imagining a pull cord start.

i just spent a couple of hours searching youtube looking to find a video of one being started. found one video of one being started with the camera pointing at the dash but it was a saab 96. those had the starter solenoid?...finally found this cool jay leno video.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=188058

Mar 25, 09 2:07 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks so much -- that's a hoot. Needless to say, I love the colors on his car.

By way of thanks, here's one of a surprising number of Citroen DS and ID19 videos that someone clued me in to. Look also at one called "Starting a DS.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg0K2U1Cp2I&NR=1

Mar 25, 09 2:27 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
TESLA S

nytimes
Mar 27, 09 10:28 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Yow. Certainly the best-looking electric car -- sedan or not -- to be seen yet ? The Masterati Quattroporte should look this good. Specs and price are attractive, too. Wonder who drew the body ?

Mar 27, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It is less ugly than a prius.

Mar 27, 09 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

You don't like it ? Hmm -- five years of Scion XB (the old one) for you ! Heh-heh

Mar 27, 09 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

looks sort of like a masarati

Mar 27, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes, it does have that nature. Surprising that they could fit two rear-facing kid's seats in the back. . .

Mar 27, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Clarity

from Top Gear.

Apr 2, 09 12:28 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
zero motorcycle S

review & [url=http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/gallery.php]home/[url]

Apr 25, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
killacycle
Apr 25, 09 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
white zombie
Apr 25, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Something that's really interesting about some of the cars that are seen as efficient is that...they aren't really. I've loved the look of that Nissan Cube since I saw it in Japan in 2005. I was reading about it in a car magazine and they were saying that with it's 95 HP engine, you basically have to gun the motor at all times and get mileage in the mid twenties, for that tiny car. (Another car that baffles me is the Mitsubishi Lancer, 4cyl gets around 25MPG). Same with Smart Cars, they don't really get that great of mileage. In the mid 30's (which is good until you compare it to other cars). They are great in cities, absolutely, not because of MPG, but because of size. Use less steel to make, awesome. But, they say, compare it to say, a Civic. Very similar mileage, carry more people, larger trunk, safer due to size, etc. I had a rental Ford Focus for two months. I was getting 35MPG in suburb driving with decent power in that thing. At times I was getting 45+ on the highway (it has a meter which I verified with tripometer/gas fill up). Plus, electric probably isn't that much better until we are generating the electricity with solar and wind. Although, I guess with electric we reduce the millions of toxin spewing cars that aren't maintained properly and can focus on point source pollution of coal and natural gas power plants. And I guess domestic coal is better than foreign oil.

Apr 25, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Well, the electric Zombie is an eye-opener.

It's sort of like we're at a crossroads -- or is it a fork in the road ? We can get behind electric 100% and let the big manufacturers figure it out, or go away -- or we can piddle along with incremental improvements in gas-engine efficiency. It's like nationalizing the banks, or single-payer health care: only ideology, and entrenched habit, are preventing a rational choice.

Apr 25, 09 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

see the tesla in action...

The return of the Wayland Invitational! After taking a year off, the series is back with the best electric drag racing ever. The Wayland Invitational IV happens in Portland, Oregon this July 24th & 25th at PIR.

Come see what electric power is all about as NEDRA (National Electric Drag Racing Association) hosts one of the hottest electric vehicle racing events of the year. Electric vehicles (EV) from the newest production cars including the Tesla and Tango, to 11 second street rides, to all-out drag 7 second bikes and rails will be pushing the EV performance envelope for 1/4 mile acceleration prowess.

AUTISM AWARENESS

This year's race has a special purpose as well, as NEDRA helps to raise funds for a wonderful, bright young boy with autism. Curtis 'Junior' Cottengim needs a service dog to keep him calm and safe, but at $13,000 it's something this Portland family needs some help with. An optional fee at the gate plus local business and corporate sponsorship can help make this dream a reality.

Going green doesn't mean slow, dull, & boring! Join us in cheering on the world's quickest and most powerful tire shredding pure battery powered cars, trucks, and motor cycles as they mix it up with the gassers in two nights of heads up drag racing fun!

WHO WILL BE RACING

1) Bill Dube and the KillaCycle

2) John Wayland and the infamous White Zombie

3) Eva Hakansson's and her ElectroCat street bike

4) Mike Willmon and his Crazy Horse Pinto

5) Several Teslas

6) Rick Woodbury with Tango

7) Michael Kadie's awesome Cobra 2.S.S.I.C

8) Mike Schwartz's Green Tea Model T

9) Ken Koch and his fantastic '32 Ford

10) Otmar Ebenhoech's LiIon Insight

. . . . and more!

EVs ON DISPLAY

In addition to EVs racing we will have a variety of EVs on display as well.

TRACK INFORMATION

1) Portland International Raceway

2) Gates opens at 6:00 pm both Friday and Saturday

3) Charging available from available outlets

4) $8 adult admissions, 6 to 12 free with paid adult.

5) All Racers $22.

6) Directions to Portland International Raceway

Apr 30, 09 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Tesla S sedan reviewed

in the LAtimes

Apr 30, 09 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Nice Job, to my eye. Wonder who penned it ? Chevy-ish rear trim detail.
What's with the outrageously fat B pillar ? Riding in today's cars is like being in a closet. Honda Element, as one example among many. Does Sales think this makes owners and passengers feel safer ?

Apr 30, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
GAWD

Tesla S: Now that's how a new electic car should look.
But for now, I'll be happy to drive my 2-seat (back seat is being upholstered), 1967 E/Cuda Corn-Burner:

sorry for the repetition, but it's fun to drive, esp. in the HOV Lane (legally).

Apr 30, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
GAWD

BTw,

THIS is what an Electric Car oughta be:

Tommy Chong's Electric LowRider

link

Anthony Kiedis 1967 Camaro does 0-60 in abt. 3 seconds. I'm trying to find some photos for that one.

Apr 30, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Geez, that 'Cuda coupe is rare enough already ! Nice going. . .and best wishes. The Olds is a rarity too -- in any form. A little too dropped (and striped) for me, but at least it's all of a piece, and not in a screaming color (I guess). Nice retro wheel styling, too.

As for the mechanicals (um, electricals), congratulations, and I take it for granted that all is as it should be.

Thanks for the peeks !

Apr 30, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
GAWD

I appreciate ya'll letting me indulge a bit. I'm kind of a car nut, esp. when they are AFVs.

Apr 30, 09 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

just booked it last night...i'm making the trip to portland to see the white zombie, killacycle, and several teslas on the track...

May 1, 09 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

electric datsuns are on their way!

thanks to inhabitat

Compared to the heavy hitters of the auto world, Nissan is a relatively small company. What it lacks in size though, it more than makes up with their commitment to producing affordable electric vehicles. The EV-02 is at the moment a rather spartan, souped-up cube city car, but it holds Nissan’s hope that they can break into the soon-to-be lucrative electric market.

The Ev-02 is expected to come to American shores sometime in 2010. It features an SAE standard charging system, that takes power from a 220-volt outlet, and takes around 4 hours to charge. The EV-02 is expected to run for around 100 miles before needing a full charge. It is not a speedy vehicle, but according to all accounts, it works like a charm.

Nissan expects it to cost roughly around $20,000 to $30,000. As it is an electric vehicle, it will probably be eligible for a number of rebates so you can expect to pay a bit less than that

I'd rather get an electric 240Z, now that would be pure genius!
May 19, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
jay leno drives the Aptera
May 20, 09 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
med.
May 20, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

NYT

reviews the Tata Nano.

Tata Motors prefers to talk about this engine’s carbon-dioxide emissions, which the company says are among the lowest for Indian cars, and fuel economy of 50 miles a gallon.

Is this car an ecological gift or a threat to the planet?
Jun 27, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Threat ? If the world must continue it's seemingly inevitable automobilization, isn't it a good thing to have smaller, lighter, cheaper and more fuel-efficient cars ? Or would you prefer something other than internal-combustion ?

Jun 27, 09 11:36 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

threat to put 1b more folks on the road. most mopeds/scooters get better milage, but have worse emissions and horrible safety. But a scooter traffic jam takes less road space then the same number of folks in a tata. more cars = more roads = more traffic...

Jun 27, 09 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Makes sense. I guess I fall for the customary notion of "carrying stuff" and/or keeping dry. But scooters do fit the bill of personal motor transport -- and people do carry all kinds of loads on them.

I've been toying for years with the idea of a pedal-powered coupe for one or two -- ultralight of course and with some sort of gossamer bodywork for weather. Probably nuts. I spent a lot of time on the drivetrain -- including converting two coaster-brake hubs to shaft drive.

Jun 27, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

The world will be a better, and safer, place once SUVs have gone extinct.

I would either kill, die, or go insane if this ever happened to me.

Jun 28, 09 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: