Archinect
anchor

CLARB redline review - is it worth it?

treekiller

Any 'Scaper candidates who have taken advantage of the LARE Graphic Exam Review offered by CLARB? Is it worth $195 for the 'redline review' or should I save $80 and opt for the standard review?

I have till friday to decide, either way I have to rush back from green build to make the review session on November 10th.

Standard Review

During the Standard Review, you will be able to review your actual failing exam solutions against the evaluation criteria that was used to grade the exams. You should not expect to see any marks on your solutions, nor should you expect to receive the specific reason that the problem was failed. You must review the evaluation criteria and determine which one or more of the specific items was lacking in your solution.

The Standard Review is an effective process for many candidates. Most of the errors on the problems can be easily spotted upon review of the evaluation criteria. However, if you do not possess a certain knowledge about a subject, you may need the Red-lined solution to point out the weakness.

Redline Review

If you request a Redline Review, you will be able to review a marked-up copy of your failing graphic solutions. The redline process is completed outside of the grading process to eliminate any bias during the grading of exams. Each exam must be independently evaluated by different graders which prohibits the ability for any grader to mark on the exams.

You will receive general comments on the weakness exhibited on each problem. For example, a circulation design may have a comment near it that reads: "The candidate does not understand circulation safety, vehicular circulation conflicts with pedestrian circulation." The comments are intended to help you define your areas of weakness so that you can better prepare for the next administration of the exam. The specific criteria which caused the resulting score will not be outlined.

Oct 9, 07 1:59 pm
treekiller

had the pleasure of rushing back from greenbuild yesterday to make the 9am CLARB review session. Since I have sworn to secrecy the actual exam and grading criteria I'm forced to be specifically very very general.

Scene:
small beige hotel conference room in a sprawling suburban pile of bricks.

results:
Three stacks of paper to review in silence for one hour:

*a copy of my exam with a few comments in red
*a copy of the grading criteria
*a copy of the LARE reference guide

One scale
No calculator (though permitted)

My failures on the two vignettes came down to a few simple drawing mistakes, misinterpreting the instruction of what to write, and inexperience in generating two significantly different design solutions.

Happy to state that I only had to chop down a single tree to pass one of the vignettes.

Without the redline comment, I may have missed the misinterpretation of what to write, but the drafting errors were pretty obvious. Getting the review was priceless since I have a better grasp of the subject nuances of how to pass next time. It will be hard to fail next time.

Nov 10, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: