Archinect
anchor

buildings you

obelix

I heart this building:

Oct 5, 07 6:59 pm
whistler

me too ... great to see a new photo of a real gem, makes it even more impressive than seeing the same old photos. ( fresh snow, fresh point of
view )

very refreshing don't you think?

Oct 5, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I know I'm gonna get flamed for liking this guy, but this space on a lively friday night is one of the reasons I'm even in architecture.

Now I KNOW this guy's stuff is heavily flawed, but I still have a soft spot for his atrium hotels.

His firm also designed this building in Shanghai, which my arch professor jokingly likened (correctly) to the Tower of Mordor from the Lord of the Rings. I had no clue it was a Portman at the time, it seems his buildings follow me.

Oct 5, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Buildings that belong in a Batman movie are cool.

Oct 5, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

buildings that give me sideways saggy boobs????

Oct 5, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Nice overall view of Saynatsalo; I didn;t realize it fit so compactly into a "block." That much brick (and wood) has to be good for the blood pressure. There's a photo of a corridor and stair, with bracketed ceiling (?), that always gets me. . .

Oct 5, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I've always been impressed by the massing of Saynatsalo.

Here is a link to a new exhibition about Saynatsalo. Text is in Finnish but the photos are good.

Oct 5, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Here is the English link.

Oct 5, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

There are many buildings I'd rate less than 3.

Oct 6, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

garpike you nerd :oP

Oct 6, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I heart this building:

Oct 6, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

schindler?

Oct 6, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yup. His 1922 house on Kings Road.

Oct 6, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

schindler gets a bad wrap in the history books; no defined direction. i think he did some great work

Oct 7, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
jones

Thanks for the Aalto Link Stag....When I first moved to the PacNW I became obsessed after the Mt. Angel Abbey Library visit. Such a nondescript bldg on the outside entry, then just amazingly lit daylight space once inside. For some weird reason it makes me think of a mullet. Later, I saw video of the town hall and started the obsession all over again. Some of those images in the link aren't in any of the books I have.

Frank Furness (sp?) had a bldg that reminded me of a batman bldg. I'll have to look it up. I believe it was demolished.

schindler reminds me of scarpa....and I do love scarpa.

Oct 7, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Garnier's opera house in Paris is one of my favorites. The stairs in that building are absolutely amazing.

Oct 8, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
SDR

HH Richardson's Albany City Hall -- or is it the state capitol ? -- also has a memorable stair, I believe.

Oct 8, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: