Archinect
anchor

AIA salary survey and report

igloominaire

Does anyone out there have a copy of the most recent AIA salary survey and report? If so, I have some questions maybe you'd be kind enough to look up for me. I don't feel like paying $225 for information to which every architect in the country should be entitled for free.

Oct 4, 07 2:41 pm
Gloominati

I have the 2005 report - which I believe is the most recent though I haven't looked into that recently. What would you like to know?

Oct 4, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

your local aia office has a copy to peruse as well...

Oct 4, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

I think we can reasonably conclude that the question is "how much should I be making?"

Oct 4, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Well, if you need extensive free information, every state's Dept. of Labor maintains statistics on various professions, and most states have this available online. The trouble with this is that in our profession they usually have only two categories: "Architect (not including Landscape and Naval)", and "Architectural Drafter (not including Landscape and Naval)". So it can be difficult to identify where you should be in the range, as it doesn't distinguish positions, experience levels, or firm sizes.
The AIA survey does a better job of categorizing things. On the other hand, it's generally based on a smaller sampling of firms, and also typically includes only AIA-member firms, which are only about 60% of all firms and skews the survey a little toward larger firms.
My experience in my region is that the AIA survey indicates salaries little higher than the true averages for the region - but it also only includes data from a tiny handful of firms.

I don't think there's any harm in providing answers here and there from the survey. My local library will look up anything for anybody who calls and asks for information on anything whatsoever - and they only draw the line at reading two continuous pages to you over the phone from any one book. My local AIA chapter does not have a copy for general viewing - in fact they maintain no library of materials for viewing at all and blame a lack of staff for why they will only sell documents.

Oct 4, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

ok ... here we go AGAIN.

first, where is it written that this is "information to which every architect in the country should be entitled for free" ... every architect in the country didn't pay the dues to collect the data and organize the data and publish the data. this is a private survey, commissioned by the dues paying members of aia for their own use. what the hell did you do to contribute to that process?

second, were you a dues paying member of aia, you could purchase the survey for $50. a great member value.

third, yes, the data from the 2005 survey is now becoming a bit out of date since it really represents wages as they existed at the end of 2004. however, if you want to go to a little trouble, you easily can update the information using CPI data for your state or SMSA that's readily downloadable from the Department of Labor's website.

fourth, while there is variability from individual-to-individual and from community-to-community, I find the survey data (when inflated by CPI updates) to be a reliable and useful basis on which to have intelligent and informed compensation discussions. it's no bible, but it's absolutely better than any other source of information about architectural compensation out there.

Archdaddy -- I have the complete survey and, if you will ask politely and tell me exactly what you want to know, I'll be happy to look it up for you and send you the answers you seek.

Have a great evening.

Oct 4, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: