Archinect
anchor

Best companies to outsource design development & shop drawings

nonarchitect

Does anyone know of a good company that can do construction documents from schematic drawings?

Oct 2, 07 2:47 pm
holz.box

so you can fire your architect, take the schematics somewhere and get a set of blueprints for 1/10 the cost?

Oct 2, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i actually help run a small outfit that does DD and CD dwgs. My partner handles those specific aspects of the buisiness but you can email me if you're interested.

We're based in NYC and he has personally done outsourced CDs for a firm and I am also capable of helping in that regard.

Oct 2, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

although let it be known we typically only provide that service for architecture firms that need extra help during a crunch and don't want to hire more staff. If you're a client and you want to fire your architect and have us do you're CDs for you we cannot do that.

Oct 2, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Oct 2, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

its called India

Oct 2, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i've heard of outsourcing cad work, but never outsourcing an entire design phase. is that even possible? given how vastly different construction is in india and china (i've worked in both places), i'm not sure outsourcing your detailing is a very good idea, but hey, that's just me.

Oct 2, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

Apurimac, I am working as the architectural designer, a licensed architect will still check & stamp my drawings I simply do not have time to put together a set. please email me your contact info. thanks. jafidler, I am outsourcing the drawing co-ordination aspect, as well as things like kitchen & bath details. However, I will provide construction details to comply to local code. These info is readily available anyways, through International building code, etc....I am outsourcing because I cannot find a decent intern here who can even draw standard details.

Oct 2, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
eakufuna

I offer draughting services to Architects that are looking to outsource their work. Please send me an email for me to send you my portfolio. [email protected]

May 21, 17 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

you've got mail nonarchitect.

Oct 2, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'll do it for a hundred bucks an hour.

Oct 2, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

i'll do it for 95 an hour

Oct 2, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i'll do it for free so long as you are a starchitect.

Oct 2, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Is outsourcing really fundamentally different than having a designer and an architect of record as is often done when starchitects are working in foriegn countries?

I'm not talking about sending to cheaper markets China or India but locally specializing on a particular part of the process? Certainly there are aspects of CD's and construction that a designer needs to be aware of, but in many of the offices I've been in there were designers and there were CD and CA people and there was little if any overlap. You designed it then handed it off, if there was a design issue durring CD they take it to the designers and ask them.

I'm just curious becuase people seem to react quite negatively to the idea.

Oct 2, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you are outsourcing the kitchen and bath and are using typical details what exactly did you design? just curious...

Oct 2, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I design the layout, facade, lighting, masterplans, etc...its affordable housing, and mostly gut rehab stuff. But I am a young designer and I look to outsourcing not merely as a means to cut cost & time, but as a means to learn from people who have had much more experience with particular building construction systems...Frankly, I cannot come up with innovative construction technique because I don't have enough exposure. But "outsourcing" allows me to learn from people for whom God is in details...

Oct 2, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I dont think that outsourcing a design is gonna get you good details...

Oct 2, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm looking for some side work..... if it's interiors or something that i can use my background (exhibit detailing/shop dwgs/construction experience)......

www.237am.com some of my work that i built/etc....

b

Oct 2, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

well, this is my experience. while working in the united states, i worked for an indian architect who had an office in mumbai. we were working on a project in beijing. between the three countries we had a hell of a time communicating about construction. first there was the whole english/metric systems to overcome. then there were differences in standard unit sizes (block, stick, steel, etc.); then there was the problem with certain systems that are not used in other countries (india uses very little steel and almost no stick framing). then, there was trying to spec products in various parts of the globe. all said and done it was incredibly complicated. i'm very skeptical that there are any indian outsourcing firms that have learned the intricacies of the american construction industry. i'd be very careful; this might be a much bigger hassle than its worth.

Oct 2, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

outsourcing design development? i would assume this means you aren't working in an architectural firm, so why wouldn't you just hire an architect? if there is an architect in your firm who will be sealing your drawings, than why doesn't he/she just redline them for you?

the graphic guide to frame construction

Oct 2, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

nonarchitect where are you located?

I know some people who do CD sets but I think they only want to operate where they are licensed.

Oct 2, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i already said i'd do it for a hunnert and 25 bucks an hour.

Oct 2, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

vado said he would do it for a hummer and 25 bones per sexty minutes

Oct 2, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
n_

If Vado will do it for 25, you can have me for 22 p/ hour.

That's a bargain where I'm from.

Oct 2, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

not 25. 125!

Oct 2, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hunnert=a bill=a 100 spot=100bones=franklins

Oct 2, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Fine. 122.

Oct 2, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how low can you go???

Oct 2, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'll do it for a bucket of kentucky fried chicken.....

Oct 2, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Second thought.....how about a dozen muckie hot dogs!

Oct 2, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

'tis an idea.. since y'all seem so keen. We could have a job bidding board on archinect.. like ebay. How much would you prostitute yourself for, for which phase of design/development/production? :) heck, we could even propose a virtual supply chain, where each drawing gets bid separately on archiinect.

Oct 7, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^that might not be so bad an idea, I know of at least two freelancers on this board for arch. services (myself and cyzko) and I don't know how often we get spamed by rendering firms and outsourcing firms.

Oct 7, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

well, you'd need basically to set up a standards guide and some templates, and coordinate production platforms an' stuff, but it's conceptually doable.. .. oh what am I saying???? this'll wipe out the profession. This board'll be swamped by overseas outsourcers bidding drawings at a nickle per :P we need trade protection darnit! instead, how about a stupid 12 foot high triple fence around archinect, secured by Blackwater, to keep everybody else out?

Oct 7, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL urbanist! Then again, if you can't beat the chinese outsource companies, you could always join 'em. It don't cost much to live over there...

Oct 7, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

one interesting consequence of a virtual supply chain would be distributed liability... heck, you may not even be able to correctly identify all the suppliers.... who's gonna agree to seal anything in such an environment? Boy.. this could revolutionize the industry and bring down NCARB!

Oct 7, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 
binary

i figured that since some of us sort of help the help to really eat (i.e.freelance/contract work) i dont see an issue with tossing work our way....whether its some detailing for interiors/design/etc.....

but yet again once a cat tries to get his/her company known on this board, we get attacked for something....... maybe we can help each other out when it really comes done to a firm needing that extra help for a few weeks/etc...

i know my limitations for what i can do/etc......

b

Oct 7, 07 2:54 am  · 
 · 
marcelogamboa

I can do that since I have tremendous experience in doing that. Worked for a Company called Central Millwork, we had shop drawings, purchasing and finance outsourced. I was part of that, but most of it I can set it up. Personally, I went to Berkeley California, I speak English perfectly. We could have a conversation. 

My email is [email protected]

+1 (469) 522-3425

Jul 10, 18 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
JCArchi

Unfortunately, you're 11 years too late.

Jul 11, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gamboa Corp totally looks like some sort of scam company.

Jul 11, 18 11:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

They must be swamped with work if they chase 11 years old leads...

Jul 11, 18 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: