Archinect
anchor

Construction cost of Rounded Corner bldg.

cric

I am thinking of employing rounded corner design at the building I'm designing. (see the link to see the picture),
Since the client initially preferred rectagular shape, I have to persuade him to approve this design.

However, I wonder how much difference (in construction cost) will this design make . I may need some general comments on the increasing % of the total number.Please let me know if you have experience in similar building shapes. Thanks,

This is 5 story building,property is about 300 sqm and Total area is 1200 sqm. and reinforced concrete structure will be used for construction. And Curtain Wall at Facade.

This is one of the image FYI, please check the link below.

http://blogfiles7.naver.net/data29/2007/9/8/246/npe3af_ju_hyunkim.jpg

Sep 29, 07 11:07 am
cric

sorry, the link above doesn't work,
I will chang the link to the following,

http://blog.naver.com/ju_hyunkim/50022210252

Sep 29, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 

we're doing some rounded corners in one project and the construction manager hasn't made any noise about it. (yet?)

but our curves will be of brick and concrete block - the curve designed at a radius big enough so that the walls can still be running bond without segmenting the surface too much.

concrete slabs with radiused corners should be no issue.

but it also looks like you're proposing glass? i'm sure it depends on the glass system (storefront, butt glazed, steel, wood, etc.) but it would probably be such a specific installation that i have no idea what the cost implications would be.

best bet (this is the second time i've given this advice this week. weird.) is to figure out some potential products that you might propose to use and contact product reps for those products. they should be able to help you with the technical aspects of the installation - or put you in contact with technical advisors - but they should also be able to help you with some broad-brush estimating.

Sep 29, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
spark

I would suggest doing an estimate/take off accurately from the radii and another take off as if the corners were squared off. See what this difference is. Then, talk to potential contractors and discuss the percentage difference and see if they think that is the kind of premium that could be expected.

Based on the image, I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay a premium of 25% (or more) of the exterior envelope costs for the radii.

I love that word radii.

I am with Steven, depends a lot on the materials and systems that are following the radii and whether you can stay with standardized components. It is fine to get numbers from reps but always check their numbers with contractors of the caliber that will be building the building. Reps are trying to get their products specified.

Sep 29, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
njp

cric, forgive me if i'm wrong in my assumptions, but your desire to round the corners in your building seem very willful and perhaps unjust. why do you want to round the corners? unless this move can be justified with your larger design intent/concept or it improves the building in some way, i think you'll have a hard time justifying the added cost to your client.

curves are always more expensive/time consuming to design, detail and build!

Sep 30, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: