Archinect
anchor

cool sketchbooks

boxers

muji, etc?

what are some favorites (wiht links).

Sep 27, 07 11:42 pm
holz.box

after a h+dem exhibition i went to in 2002, i pretty much only use moleskin...

blackdot sketchbooks by william stout are kinda cool...

there's also an interesting set by navadesign, one year of paper:

zaha hadid produced an akwardly shaped sketchbook w/ vitra

miguelrius grid it! has subtle grids by famous designers (corb, jan tschihold, j. gutenberg et al)

Sep 28, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 
boxers

i also really like the rite in the rain sketchbook (waterproof)...except it is lined paper.

http://www.riteintherain.com/

Sep 28, 07 12:41 am  · 
 · 
xacto

love this thing.

http://www.diabooks.org/diabooks/item.m?itemID=15770

Sep 28, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
cf

I use Staples 8.5x11 printing paper and punch it for a spiral notebook. This paper is slightly thicker than the discount copy paper and cheaper than the "oh so special" sketch books.

Sep 28, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
med.

I only like sketchbooks with spirals and hard covers. Everything else is inferior to me.

Sep 28, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh and for me, the only good sketchbook is one with exceptionally good sketches and documentation.

Sep 28, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
postal

archmed, where can people in need of buffering their portfolio process images get one of these?

Sep 28, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Postel, I mean it doesn't matter how "cool" someone's sketchbook is unless it has good stuff in it.

Sep 28, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
med.

These are the best ones. Strathmore's classic spiral ones. Hard covers, good paper, and it has a good spiral that makes it easier to sketch on both sides.

Sep 28, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
postal

yes yes, i was being sarcastic...

and i do agree with you.

sadly, i do not keep a good sketch book...

any interest in starting an actual thread as a sketchbook? similar to the handwriting thread? posts would be sorta like a sketch of the day thread? (perhaps this has already been tried?)

Sep 28, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
med.

sounds like a good idea to me.

Sep 28, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i think there already is a sketchbook thread somewhere around here, no?

Sep 28, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I once sketched on sketch paper that came off a roll. It was a light tan color. A professor told me that I used that old looking paper to make my drawings look like classical masterpieces. I told him- Oh yes, yes sir, I have been exposed, you are so absolutely right to point out my self aggrandizement, it is the paper that has made my drawings, sir, yes sir, you, master architect are so very, very keen in your perception, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for changing my life path by pointing out the error of my way, this will be life changing and an exciting new direction in my life, sir, yes sir, that is so very nice of you to bring this fact to light, again your powers of observation are keen and I see now why you are who you are, thank you again for your moment in the sun with me.

Sep 28, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I like that paper that comes in the tan rolls...

Sep 28, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i use the large heavy brown (kraft?) paper for wrapping stuff @ art stores for package wrapping...

Sep 28, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Those Strathmore's and the Canson's are quite good if you need space for bigger sketching. When I fall into a period of carrying a larger bag, I usually get one of those. Otherwise I use whatever small hardbound thing I can find at the art store. I dislike consistency in my sketchbooks, it makes it hard to tell the periods of my life apart.

Sep 29, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 

after 15+yrs i've never gotten over my love for basic black winsor & newtons. cheap, fake-leather cardboard cover, last forever, get nicely distressed on the binding...

in answer to myriam's comment about telling the difference: i used to stick a postcard-sized concert flyer from a show i had seen on each cover so i'd know which it was. consistency AND differentiation.

Sep 29, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Steven, you're such an architect!

;)

Sep 29, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Good topic. I used to use moleskin and strathmore but now I exclusively use Harbor 347 sketchbooks. You just can't beat the quality for the price and I love that they are made in the USA and sold direct by the manufacturer.

Sketchbook by Harbor 347

Sketchbook by Harbor 347
Aug 12, 18 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: