Archinect
anchor

Inclined Sliding Door

Hasselhoff

Do they exist? Are there sliding doors that can be installed on an angled wall? I don't know what I'm doing haha.

Sep 27, 07 11:18 pm
WtfWtfWtf™

Old fire doors are mounted on inclined rails so that they are self closing when released in a fire....I'm talking about area separation doors we find in old loft buildings etc.
Do you mean parallel top and bottom but leaning out or in at the top / bottom?

Sep 27, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Right. The wall is not perpendicular to the floor. In section it's like this /

Sep 27, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

Likely that you could find one of these in a zaha project somewhere. There is also an inclined sliding door in the children's area at the Seattle Public Library by OMA. Maybe try to dig up the details for that....

Sep 27, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

i'd just contact a local overhead or commercial sliding door distributor's rep and tell them what you're trying to achieve. there's no physical reason you can't do what you want, but you'll probably need their help with how to have one made.

have you considered dropping the door vertical in front of the wall and just have returns to the angled wall on each side?

Sep 28, 07 7:01 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I'm imagining something that relies on rollers much like what you'd see on a library ladder.....however, it seems a bit awkward in that you'll have to reach for the hardware with your toes close to the door sill, or inversely with your face against the glass if inward at the top:

Sep 28, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i have little experience with this, but sw's inclination to contact a sliding door rep seems right. if you try to achieve the angle with a standard door propped at an angle with blocking, all the weight of the door is going to be sitting on an edge; that will make it almost impossible to slide. it seems to me the frame will have to be parallel to the head and sill and the glass angled in the frame. that sounds like something you want premanufactured and not done on site.

Sep 28, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
simples

OMA's educatorium in utrecht...lower right corner, but these seem to be manual...

hassellhoff, you should definitely contact a sliding door rep, as they might not be willing to warrant (or even install) their product on an incline (if you are talking automatic sliding doors)....if this is a manual sliding door, jafidlers point is a good point...

Sep 28, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
simples

the seattle library children's area door...better pictures (which apparently i can't post) are linked below...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36521963953@N01/952788/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36521963953@N01/952779/

Sep 28, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
cf

ADA door clear height on that tilted wall??

Sep 28, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

also the reach range from a clear floor space to the door hardware is a concern with slanted wall doors. but the clear head height can be accommodated with a ridge of about 1/2" in the floor where the wall surface is below 80" AFF and as long as tat 1/2" is beveled 1:2 slope it is OK to roll over.

Dec 17, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen
Sep 28, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
simples

CF makes a great point which also applies to all slanted wall lovers out there...

ADA
4.4.2 Head Room. Walks, halls, corridors, passageways, aisles, or other circulation spaces shall have 80 in (2030 mm) minimum clear head room (see Fig. 8(a)). If vertical clearance of an area adjoining an accessible route is reduced to less than 80 in (nominal dimension), a barrier to warn blind or visually-impaired persons shall be provided (see Fig. 8(c-1)).

Sep 28, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Seat-of-the-pants reasoning to solve for an unknown:

You can have a vertical sliding panel (typ sliding door)

You can have a horizontal sliding panel (hatch cover)

Therefore, you can have a sliding panel that's oriented anywhere between vertical and horizontal.

Sep 28, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

but in both cases the rails and wheels are vertical - wheels don't work well on an angle unless you are in the General Lee (cuff 'em and stuff 'em Flash!). Steven and simples above have good advice which I would heed.

You might also want to consider a storefront system as they typically have a higher degree of flexability.

Sep 28, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the wheels/rails don't have to be diagonal or on an angle just like poczatek's ladder.

Sep 28, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you can get v grooved wheels (look at McMaster) and have them slide on an angle

Sep 28, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The design of the wheels and tracks will depend on whether the control of the door is taken by the upper track or the lower. The rolling ladder above is a case of the upper track and wheels in control. If the lower wheels were to ride in a track, then the upper wheels could simply roll on a flat surface.

Sep 28, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
facader

We just did am automatic sliding inclined door for OMA on Cornell. We used the one they did on Porto as a good learning experience. The hard part is getting any parts in the US. We had to spec everything from Europe. It was also extremely expensive...most expensive part of the entire facade...

Sep 29, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
SDR

The difficult aspect of the Seattle door shown is that it had to be suspended from the upper slide, I imagine ? Did you have the same situation at Cornell ?

Sep 29, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

https://www.geze.com/en/produc...

Dec 17, 18 6:04 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the sensor will not detect you until you have your hips through the glass.

Dec 17, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

what a weird comment, the sensor of course senses you from a couple feet away to open in time...

Dec 17, 18 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Stupid ideas are cheap, implementing them isn't.

Dec 17, 18 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is the Hadaway house in Whistler where none of the walls are vertical and none of the ceilings are horizontal, but they went back to the vertical for the front door.

Dec 18, 18 6:50 am  · 
 · 

Vertigo, anyone?

Dec 18, 18 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: