Archinect
anchor

NCARB BEA issue

national

Is anyone else out there finding the NCARB BEA program a bit unrealistic and closeminded in it's scrutany of architectural practice experience over education?

Sep 27, 07 7:47 pm
Gloominati

It'a a very long, drawn out process, but not impossible. One of the partners in my last office made it through, but it took multiple interviews (@ $750 each) and a couple of years. And then it's not recognized in a list of about 8 states anyway. Have you had a license in some state for at least 10 years? If not it's very unlikely that you'll get approved. But if you've been licensed for 10 years and have a decent body of built work then you'll probably get through.

Sep 27, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Ummm, NO!
Are you broadly experienced or not?
Education and REAL experience are two different things.
The BEA program is for people without the requisite education.
People spend their lives wasting away at firms and never get licensed because they may not have had the opportunity to go to college.
The program was designed to help them, not for people with degrees without practical experience.

Sep 27, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

The BEA program doesn't apply to people who "never get licensed". You can't apply for BEA certification until you've already been licensed in at least one state for a minimum of 8 years.

Sep 27, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

That's right....I didn't know you actually had to be licensed already?
From NCARB: "You are considered a "broadly experienced architect" if you do not hold a NAAB-accredited degree and have verified experience as an architect,..."
I thought National may have been another with that sense of entitlement I've seen so, so many times.

Sep 27, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
national

It's not a sense of entitlemant it more of being restricted from the club. As a registered architect with my own firm for several years I feel that I've paid my dues more than someone who just passed the ARE and yet that youngster doesn't need to go through half of the stuff the BEA requires to prove one worth.

Sep 28, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I mistook you for someone who didn't want to work, relying completely on your education....My apologies. Luckily I can still type with my foot in my mouth ;)

Sep 28, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
national

No problem, and thanks to "formerlyunknown" as I think I have an understanding of how this process is going to playout.

Sep 28, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I am amazed at the mix of talent in our industry, some registered, some not.
There are the seasoned veterans who have been realizing huge projects for many years, never becoming licensed....and there are the kids fresh out of grad school taking the ARE....
And then there are the ones who think they should be licensed upon graduation....

Sep 28, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: