Archinect
anchor

Trying to get started.

johnnyclark

Hello all,

I have read the discussions on this website for some years now and have taken much from your insights. But I have been too busy/clueless to get involved in the discussion. After graduating in May and spending the summer getting away from architecture I am now in the third week of a wonderfully corporate job in the middle of the loop in Chicago.

Anyway, I have thrown myself headfirst into architecture the past four years (just completed my BArch at U of I Urbana) and I look forward to finding my way and keep creating now that I'm in the real world. What makes me so disillusioned with architecture are the realities of profession, namely the control of the project that gets taken away from the architect due to the power held by developers/contractors/municipality.

I am now working as an assistant project manager at a project managing firm. No IDP here, no designing, but also no CAD, overtime or weekends, which is nice. As they say, one shift for them and another shift for my own work. I'm slowly learning the business of how big projects get built and how all the forces at play get managed. But I don't want to deal with just the numbers for too long.

So, has anybody had experience moving from the project side to the design side in architecture? Everyone keeps telling me that this experience will be worth it, but I don't know if I can handle the dryness of this job for long.

I have gotten some internship positions offered (for no or little pay) at interesting/boutique-y firms in New York and Europe. But I guess I just don't know if i should jump at one of those design positions as soon as economically possible.

Thanks for your input.

Sep 24, 07 4:01 pm
Ms Beary

how much are you making? (if you don't mind my asking.) you are only in your 3rd week and are that sick of it?

Sep 24, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

look at firms in Chicago before you switch cities...there are many great offices in the Windy City. I would try something different while you are settled in the city (if you are) before you get up an move (especially for little $$$).

If you can get some project management experince now, you will be able t work for those design offices later, AND GET PAID FOR IT

Sep 24, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

you are in America's historically architectural hub and you want out of it??

Sep 24, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

I've grown up here, went to school nearby, and I can very well assume that I will be back. But I've got the itch for different pastures.

I'm making very good money (much better than my recently graduated colleagues who are interning down the street), which is quite nice, but the environment and the type of work (budgets) leaves a bit for me to desire.

I know that you've got to have a passion for the profession that is seldom seen in other fields, but if anything what I'm learning through this job is how much the architects get shafted in this process. They get to birth the design, but in reality the other forces at play dictate it's conception.

I guess I just need some time to settle in and find my interest in this process.

Sep 24, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Sounds boring to me. If you don't like it, why are you there? You're not earning IDP credit, and you can learn project management interning in an actual architecture firm doing actual architecture and get to do the design side then, too. You don't sound like you're jumping high, you sound like you're sliding down a hill. Or something.

Sep 24, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Do interiors, or enter competitions on the side, or something.

Sep 24, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

patience, grasshopper.

or not.

at the very beginning of your career, it's hard to go wrong. stay or jump, your choice.

Sep 24, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

On a related note, I started my first internship state side today, and so far it resembles my old insurance gig more than it does the architecture firm I was working at in China.

Sep 24, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Jumphigh, I had the same conversation with myself about two years ago.

I worked on the project management and planning side for three years. I feel that I by-passed a lot of CAD Monkey stuff in the process. I probably got more client exposure than my architecture peers who were slaving away in the office at the same time.

Grad school enlightened me on design, and I decided that I could find a higher personal fulfillment by going back to a traditional architecture firm. It's really up to you to decide what will make you happy.

I'm deep into CA for two buildings right now. Come to think of it, this is probably a better way to learn about detailing than three years as a CAD monkey could have taught me.

For you, it's not advisable to jump too soon, as it will reflect poorly on your resume. Perhaps you could use this time to plan your next move and try to learn as much about your interests in your current job.

Sep 24, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
lmdarch

Find a small to mid-size firm (either in Chicago or another city you are interested in) that is actually getting work built that you like and try to pursue a job with them. *Getting it built* and it being *design you like* is key.

The fact of the matter is, architecture is not art and there is a lot more that drives design in the real world than just our desire to do something that is aesthetically hip or cool or rooted in interesting theories. Clients, budgets, building code, zoning boards, variances, insurance, risk, liability, billable hours, fees - these are all very real parts of our profession. Of course we should all still strive to do wonderful designs, but the measure of wonderful should include balancing the functional/practical realities of architecture in addition to the aesthetic goals.

It often comes as a shock to people just getting out of school. I was one of them - I came from a strong design school and took pride in doing interesting, thought-provoking design work. I came out of school idealistic and naive wanting to change the world through design. And then, like my classmates, I had a dose of reality when I entered the profession. Many of my classmates chose to get out and do things like web design instead. I have hung in there, now 12 years, and have been licensed for 6 of those years.

I was pretty fortunate - I did get to do a lot of design work in most of the offices I worked in as an intern, but I know a lot of people got stuck doing bathroom details. If you have a strong portfolio from school, a firm that is committed to doing good design work will see that and recognize that and try to utilize you for your strengths. Many firms (unfortunately) primarily look at their short term needs as their main priority so if you are a good designer, they'll likely put you there.

Just know, if you do land a design position, it is very important (assuming you want to stay in the profession and want to get your designs built) to push to get a well rounded experience - and yes, that does include code review, construction detailing, and construction adminstration (from pay apps to punch lists). As much as I didn't particularly love doing those things, now, many years later, being a sole-proprietor, I am very grateful to have gotten the bit of exposure I did and actually wish that I had been exposed to more. And yes, that even includes code review and liability issues. I still absolutely love design and with each project, I strive to do the best job I can, but I try to balance that with the client's needs, budget, codes, etc.

Also, as you are looking around the city, keep in mind the project types too. Restaurant, retail and entertainment types of projects often have the ability to push design more and be more hip and edgy than say civic or health care work (though there are exceptions). Also, firms that are doing cool restaurant or retail buildouts are likely to have much faster project schedules than a firm doing airports and convention centers. If you're really itching to experience design, aim for the firms doing smaller/faster projects as they should be able to get you the most exposure to design in the shortest amount of time. Plus, there's a lot to be said for getting exposure to the full process of a project. There is so much to be learned by actually getting to see your design through construction, learning how it really gets built so that you can be a better designer in the future. Also, if you shoot for a small to mid-size firm, there often is more of a tendency to get to do a little bit of everything, vs. getting pigeonholed into one thing. In the long run, it will serve you best.

Best of luck to you!

Sep 25, 07 3:48 am  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

Thanks for your words all. I am finding ways to keep the creative juices flowing in the city; projects with friends in other artistic modes, reading on my own, etc. But I guess the hardest thing is immediate distance now between these ideas of what i actually want to be doing and the necessity of having a job that will supposedly help me out in the long run. I guess it's just the slowness of the first weeks/months on the job.

I am starting to hear back from different architecture firms that I had been in contact with more than a month ago. (Took their time I guess...) I'm gonna keep interviewing and hopefully plant some seeds for future jobs. One guy I have been talking with does those funky buildouts and restaurant interiors that have a style unto his own, and while he applauds my portfolio says that because of his small firm he can't hire anyone without three years of experience. That seems to be the case with a lot of smaller firms.

Anyways, it's true that I'll have to ride this job out for a little while so that I can actually learn something and that it will have some weight on the resume. This grasshopper does need some patience.

Sep 25, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
lmdarch

Sounds like you are taking a good approach. Finding a creative outlet outside of work is great. And patience to ride out some more time at your current place with the focus on gaining experience and learning more about the profession will serve you well. Value and appreciate it for the role it needs to serve you right now.

Sep 25, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 

jumphigh, take some time at least wait it out a full year, then look to balance it off with a smaller practice or perhaps a commercial architectural practice to step down slowly. Its a learning game at the moment, you have another 3 years before doing

Sep 25, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: