Archinect
anchor

insurance & premiums...

dml955i

For those of you out there on your own... Any recommendations on prof. liability insurance carriers and their rates? I have a couple projects dangling out in the frontier that may allow me to start my own practice. Construction costs wouldn't exceed $250K, so I'm trying to get an idea of the cost for coverage... thanks...

Sep 24, 07 11:42 am
outed

dml -

expect to pay around 2000-2500/year for about 1m of liability and e/o insurance. and you need both. most insurers won't go lower than that and there's really only 2 or 3 main insurance companies in the u.s. (cna/schriener and st. paul's).

you could see about a project specific policy, but my guess is that they won't underwrite one if you don't have a pre-existing policy with them. a project specific policy is likely to be nearly as expensive as a yearly premium.

you can see what kind of installment payment plans they have - that may lessen the burden. also, if you're starting a firm, you may want to look into an umbrella policy, which would be a few hundred a year, but covers your professional workspace, equipment, car travel, etc. among other items.

Sep 24, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
e

dml, you still in Seattle? I have a name of a broker that we've used for our business insurance. He should be able to shop it around and get you a price. Email me if you want the info.

Sep 24, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Nah, I left Seattle back in July (right before the median house price passed the $500K mark!)...

Sep 24, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I advise finding a local insurance broker who specializes in E&O coverage and who can handle the products of more than one E&O carrier. That person can advise you quite quickly on what your costs and coverages would look like.

I'm pretty sure "project specific projects" are difficult -- and VERY costly -- to obtain these days. The insurers got badly burned on these because owners tended to use them in lieu of contingency funds on their projects.

Sep 24, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i paid 800 a year for liability when i was in construction...2mill coverage/etc.... a good policy..... it was hard getting insurance after the 9/11 bullshit though...took about 4 years to find a carrier...... since i wasnt a big baller client

b

Sep 24, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: