Archinect
anchor

If they build it, will you come?

Katze

In Gourmet magazine's October issue, (I love this magazine), there was a good article discussing the male-dominated architecture business and how some of today's most inspired restaurant interiors are coming from women designers. My personal interest in this story is that I worked in restaurants for a number of years and have found that most restaurants need help when it comes to designing something that balances aesthetics and functionality. Guest customer appeal is important, but on the other hand, we should also spend equal time designing a workspace that facilitates seamless execution between staff members. Those of you that have worked in restaurants should appreciate this :)

Anyway, I was hoping this article would include pics of the work areas for the kitchen staff and staff members but unfortunately, it did not. Regardless, I am quite impressed with Goto's shimmering water wall / staircase as well as aquarium bar for Morimoto's restaurant. In addition, I can't wait to see Monica Ponce De Leon's project "Banq" that is being built in the Penny Savings Bank in Boston's South End. I've added a few pictures of both projects – If anyone has additional pics to share, please add them!

Additional pics here…

Penny Savings:

Penny Savings:

Penny Savings:

Morimoto's aquarium bar

Goto's water wall and staircase for Morimoto"

Sep 23, 07 12:37 am
won and done williams

i thought morimoto was done by ando. was goto the interior designer? i'm not familiar with her work.

Sep 23, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Katze

sorry, yes, Goto's design firm did the interior…

Sep 23, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

great infill project, using the remainder space left in a city

Sep 23, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: