Archinect
anchor

Getting Published?

lmdarch

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations about how to get a project published? Do magazines like Contract, Dwell, Interior Design, etc. take general submissions? Or do they have to find you? Anyone know how that process works? I know many of them sponsor competitions but that's usually just once a year and there are entry fees associated with them. Just trying to learn more about how to get under the radar of the mags...

Thanks!

Sep 20, 07 3:58 pm
holz.box

you could drop 20k on an author doing a book on modernism like my old boss just did.

Sep 20, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

just remember that your work may make the magazines, but the magazines will never make your work...

Sep 20, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
lmdarch

Definitely don't have $20k to drop on a book...

Just trying to find out how magazines go about finding the work they publish. And I'm talking more about the smaller projects by smaller local/young/up-and-coming firms - not the Gehry's, Renzo's, Gensler's, etc...

Do the magazines have to find the work or do they accept submissions?

Sep 20, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

you could write them and find out.

Sep 20, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Magazines are looking for good work. You just need the name of a contact person there--like from the masthead.

I know that Dwell, for instance, always wants to see interesting projects. They don't always have to contact you.

But there's also a good chance that they don't think your work fits their format and style.....

Sep 20, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

sometimes the publishing opportunity comes from the photographer - I know a photographer that is often asked to shoot a finished project because she knows the right people and has the connections to get her shots published. She's also fantastic at her work, but many local practices choose to continue to work with her in hopes to score a magazine spot in dwell or met home or the like.

Sep 20, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

the safest bet! Most press worthy emerging practices use PR agencies. Important to use one that seriously promotes architecture and can talk/walk the walk/talk. Inversely you can find the PR company that the publications use, I know popular ones like Dwell, Metropolis, A'Record, etc keep agencies on retainers in all major US cities as well as one in London/Sydney for good measure.

aside from the good friend photographer route, you are guarantee'd a spot at some point. But expect to wait, most magazines have there spreads ready months in advance (except when it line or two as a filler).

Sep 20, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

And just in case you think I'm talking out my arse

I have been published in a few local/international publications for both my writing and architectural work. Although nothing I'm crazy proud about.

Sep 20, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You should write a brief statement that outlines why the project is significant. You should make friends with some magazine publishers. Give them something for free first - write a thoughtful letter to the editor or something.

Sep 20, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
ether

farwest and architechno are pretty accurate. Most firms/artists/architects/etc will hire a PR agency to submit their work for publication. Most publications probably do a combination of publishing project found by internal people (writers or staff) and ones submitted by outside folks (either PR or self submitted). There's also the freelance writer contingency. I would imagine this ratio depends on the publication itself.

I would also suggest looking at the masthead and contacting the appropriate person to inquire what their protocol is for submitting work to be included in their publication. Often times these people are incredibly busy and have lots of other people like yourself vying for their attention, so you should be diligent but respectful.

I've been told (my wife is a freelance publicist) that often times it goes a long way for the author of said project to contact the publication directly instead of some slick PR person. (It could be seen as an honest attempt to get their attention.) But often times this can't be done because the author is likely a pretty busy person as well (think starchitects or high profile artists). That's why PR folks have jobs right? And I'll also mention PR people often charge a shit load for their services. So the more you are willing to do, the more money you'll potentially save.

That's my insight off the cuff. If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask away. I'll try my best to answer them.

Sep 20, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You want a name at Architectural Digest?

Sep 20, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
lmdarch

Snooker - thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I don't think my work would be the right match for Architectural Digest. But thanks for the offer! :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think I will go the route of contacting someone through the masthead for now to find out their protocol as I don't have the $$ for a PR agency.

Contract is the magazine I'm most interested in right now as I think it's the best match for my work/scale.

Which one would you recommend contacting: Senior Editor, Managing Editor, Associate Editor, Art Director, or Editorial Assistant?

Email or call?

Sep 20, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I think you will find that most mainstream magazines have websites, where they post the requirements for submitting material for publication.

remember, most publications are hungry for fresh, interesting material. however, they're not going to hold your hand. you must make your submittal easy and compelling for them. in most cases, you'll need to pique their interest with VERY high quality photography.

good luck.

Sep 20, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
binary

press release package....

i'm working on mine now....

you have to go out and get it....... people hardly come to you

b

Sep 20, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the book got sent to the publisher today. two more policy statements will be submitted to the committee over the weekend. approaching 3k posts to architinect. press pass to greenbuild is arranged.

TK is published!

Sep 20, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

lmdarch> process is very simple, go to the editorial section of the magazine then find a editor contact or sometimes they have a "submission", send them a email with very brief explanatory (also in case the editor is the key contact, ask them who u should contact) and with the best pics of your work in low resolution. If they like your work, they will contact u.

whenever i got new works, i went through the same process and i got published a few times.

Sep 20, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

the most important thing is the pics u sent them, must be very sexy... imagine they have hundreds of email to check everyday.

Sep 20, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
lmdarch

cool - thanks aspect & quiz!

Sep 20, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
ether

and streamline anything written. keep it to a minimum no more than a few sentences, i might suggest. catchy but concise. it's not called a pitch for nothing.

Sep 21, 07 8:32 am  · 
 · 

photographin is important.

photographers who do architecture for a living are expensive. if you know someone who can do magazine quality work for little money you should quickly buy him or her a drink.

magazines are ALWAYS looking for projects. the last firm i worked at publishes literally everything they do (one partner is former PR man) so i got to see the way it goes...

not sure if it gets them more work or recognition, but at least they are fairly well known and it is nice to show clients a project from a magazine instead of in your portfolio...[

luck!

Sep 21, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Just send it to an editor, or alternately, track down a contributing writer and send it to them. Writers often work for multiple magazines, so sometimes that might give you the best results.

There is no magic to it - if you do decent work you certainly don't need a PR person to get published.

Sep 21, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

sometimes it's good to have your portfolio handy to just send out to promote yourself or direct a certain bunch of your projects towards the topics that the periodicals are interested in... houses, installations, interiors, etc. hard copies sent are always better.

i sent out some transmittals and media packages for some magazines like this for the firm i was with last year. i found that it was pretty random and shot in the dark sometimes. it's almost like sending out portfolios if you are doing it for your own work. it helps sometimes to look at their future issues (editorials, i think they call it) to see if future feature stories or articles will cover the type of work you do. i'm sure they'd like some fresh content. good luck!

Sep 23, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: