Archinect
anchor

Public Places-Who are some designers to look at?

tinydancer

I am doing a project on public spaces-amphitheaters/ gathering places/ multi-function areas and was wondering if anyone knew of some designers I should be reasearching-I am trying to find some precedents-and really do not know a lot about landscape architecture...any help would be appreciated-just a push in the right direction!

Sep 20, 07 2:31 pm
aml

this might help:

Project for Public Spaces

Sep 20, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

thanks-I've been looking on that site. Anyone know some architects to look at in addition?

Sep 20, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

turn off computer. go to architecture library. find librarian. find avery index. look up subject. write down location. go to stacks. find periodical. remove periodical from stack. return to desk. open periodical. retrieve information. rinse and repeat...

Sep 20, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

thanks smartass-been doing that too-just looking towards my fellow archinecters to see if there is anyone I should look at in particular. I didn't come here before going other places.

Sep 20, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I like West8's Schouwbergplein in Rotterdam. Almost any architect you care to name will have done some public spaces. Who are you interested in?

Sep 20, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Parco Della Musica - renzo

Sep 20, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP
peter walker

walter hood

martha schwarz
Sep 20, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Great-Thank you!!!

Sep 20, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
spark

sasaki

context (indiana)

rundell ernstberger & associates (indiana)

eric fulford (http://www.ninebarkinc.com/) (indiana)

doug suisman (LA)

Sep 20, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

You may want to check out the exhibit book for the 2005 MOMA Groundswell exibition. It features a collection of landscape urbanist projects, a subset of which dealt with public space.

Sep 20, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

david adjaye published a book on "Making Public Buildings"

Sep 21, 07 5:18 am  · 
 · 

weiss/manfredi's seattle waterfront sculpture park is worth a look-see: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003524511_sculpturepark140.html

and the various public (often park) projects by field operations, hargreaves, edaw, etc. you probably want to look at landscape architecture as much as architects, especially those who get lumped under 'landscape urbanism' these days.

there is a lot of published info on the multiple projects making up the rotterdam waterfront and how it's been regenerated, especially from the area called kop van zuid and extending to unstudio's bridge and the development around the springpoint of it.

Sep 21, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the public place that i pm'd in east grand rapids was on good morning america yesterday.

Sep 21, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
French

Are the guys from pps just stealing the power of ten from the Eames or are they former employees or somethin'?

Sep 21, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

sometimes it also helps just to have a clear idea even before u start researching. landscape arch can be just as conceptually deliberate as achitecture proper. researching without hindsight of what your intentions are might just be like flipping through endless options and u might end up being more confused.

Sep 21, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Before most of us were born there was Lawrence Halprin

Sep 21, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

try some of the following:

New Public Spaces by Sarah Gaventa (Hardcover - Mar 1, 2006)

Open: New Designs for Public Spaces by Raymond W. Gastil and Zoë Ryan (Paperback - April 30, 2004)

The Good Life: New Public Spaces for Recreation by Zoë Ryan and Iain Borden (Paperback - Jul 2007)

www.federationsquare.com.au

among others.

Sep 22, 07 5:45 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

thank you all for your help...

Sep 22, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: