Archinect
anchor

from school to licensed architect????

SanFranarch9

I am currently not licensed, but i would like to know what exactly is needed in order to become licensed. from what I understand you need an accreditted degree (which I have, in CALI) and 3 years work under a licensed architect then i can apply for the ARE's which take ?????? long then i can be licensed.

Correct me if Im wrong......................

Sep 20, 07 12:02 am
holz.box

too bad yer not dutch, swiss or german...

Sep 20, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
joe

florida, among others, will let you sit for tests after having only one year of experience. although you still have to have the three year min IDP. So this basically allows you to take the tests in conjunction while doing the idp, which could really cut down on time if you fuck up on a test or two. also allows you to stagger them and not feel rushed about getting them done sooner. I like the thought, but question two things: reciprocity with other states boards (although thats the point of ncarb huh), and the general amount of knowledge you can have after a year to sit for exams.

I was really close to going this route, and still could, but I'm not sure how long it takes, or how much money it costs to transfer to another state. for some reason I read somewhere that although under the same umbrella of regulation some states frown upon granting a license to someone that tested for a state with different regs. but dont have any real info.

perhaps also research here, but as some have pointed out before its a diferent crowd that likes to bitch and moan more than others

http://www.areforum.org/

-also note that you can take any states exams in any state... so since I am PA there is no problem to start the FLA test here. just have to tell them basically.

Sep 20, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
joe

also note that unless you lie on your idp submission forms it will be next to impossible to get through your idp. one gent I worked with had exactly 700 credits when he mailed in to complete idp... but they never questioned or raised suspision, leads one to wonder. but I suppose thats up to ones own ethics.

Sep 20, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
db

let's get this straight -- you have an accredited architecture degree, yet nowhere in that training did anyone explain to you the process for getting licensed ?!

Sep 20, 07 6:25 am  · 
 · 

in many states you can begin taking exams directly out of school now, but i believe you still have to - at some point - complete the idp process. idp was the one thing you didn't mention in your original query.

what does this mean? $$$. you need to start a file with ncarb so that you can document your experience over the course of the years you're out of school, paying them money each year along the way. when you're finished gaining the experience you're required to have (very possibly more than 3 yrs), you pay them more money to send your file to the state board.

after completion of both idp AND $1100 +/- worth of exams, you can become an architect. be prepared to pay more $$$.

Sep 20, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 

i hope that was helpful, ungodlike, and on topic. no need to kiss my ass.

Sep 20, 07 7:27 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I agree that you don't have to lie to complete IDP. To do it honestly it'll probably take you closer to 4+ years than the bare minimum of 2.7 years unless you're putting in tons of OT or just have an amazing boss who always gives you the right work at the right time.

Sep 20, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

California also requires the California Supplemental Exam after 8 years of aggregate experience/education. This is an oral exam and right now schedules about 8 months out. So... once you have completed school and CIDP (the california version of IDP) you take the ARE after which you can take the CSE. For me this took exactly 3 yrs and 3 months after graduating with an M.ARCH II.
Good luck, it can be a long haul.
j

Sep 20, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

I've got a related question. I have a BA in Architecture and will be applying to MArch programs this year. I've been logging my last 2 years of employment and NCARB has accepted them. Are there any states that won't accept IDP credit earned this way?

Sep 20, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Jank,

be careful, NCARB won't reject anything until after you tell them you finished IDP and ask them to start evaluating your record. they will check it against your final transcript to make sure you had the required number of credits when you submitted the hours. I had some training units rejected this way at the end of IDP and ended up having to submit another training report to fill the gaps.

Sep 20, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
joe

"I agree that you don't have to lie to complete IDP. To do it honestly it'll probably take you closer to 4+ years than the bare minimum of 2.7 years..."

thats all I was saying... I know you dont have to, but I was trying to illustrate that its super hard to knock out your hours in all the categories within the three years. I'll elaborate...
when I said he turned in 700 credits, that was after counting the hours since the start of employment. so basically every hour was accounted for, and all categories were completed in the shorted legal amount of time... follow?

Sep 20, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

Thanks 4arch, I'll keep that in mind. But I don't plan to finalize my IDP record until after I finish grad school and get back to work in a few years, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Sep 20, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: