Archinect
anchor

(the) architecture of everything

treekiller

there is some grumbling that the forum at archinect doesn't discuss architecture enough. (they must not be reading the news).

Since most of us are architects, intern-architects, or students, doesn't that make most of what we talk about 'architectural'?

So what is 'architectural' discourse?

Should we be discussing building codes?

or material implications on space?

how circulation alters energy performance?

or those various theories proposed by hasbeen starchitects that loose their luster after a few days and lectures?

Sep 19, 07 3:32 pm
mdler

hi tumbles

Sep 19, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

then start discussing architecture

Sep 19, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hi treekiller

Sep 19, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

what I find interesting is whenever we discuss architecture we are usually hyper-critical of the featured project. Some of which criticism is actually rather obtuse and runs the gamut of "that project is made of fail and AIDS" or "DO NOT WANT".

The good criticism I welcome, and the discourse generated by it enables us all to grow professionally. What I find interesting though, is how bitchy we are of decent architecture posted here compared to what we spend our everyday lives in. I'm sorry, but I'd rather they build the REN building in Shanghai than another boring, po-mo office tower. Even though I think the REN building was/is a bad project, its still better than 99% of what's being built. I guess, as being conisours of decent architecture (and even a little diva-ish) we must critique our contemporaries despite the fact that the culture that generates crappy architecture should probably be addressed more earnestly.

Sep 19, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

j

what is more important? Making the patio a nice space or the aesthetics of the door?

Sep 19, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

been there done ThAt!

Sep 19, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: