Archinect
anchor

RFI's

Does anyone here actually LOG RFI's...by say... Division? We have a lot of RFI's and nobody seems to keep track of them, just a list in order by number. Only the guy answering them has any idea what they cover, these range thru all divisions and I can't find anything.

So I'm going to go thru all of them and organize by division. Turner apparently has a ProLog website for one project, if that is searchable or organized I have no idea. What's the point in even keeping a paper folder of them (PLUS PDFs and Word documents) if you can't find anything?

Sep 18, 07 11:23 am
quizzical

Since you're not getting a lot of help, here are a few resources (from your friends at AIA) that you might find useful:

The RFI's Role in the Construction Process

According to Hoyle: The Submittal Process

Zen and the Art of Construction Administration, Part II

Sep 18, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Those explain what RFI's are and what should be in them, and that's great, but I already have all that info.

Sep 18, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
cf

How many RFIs do you get, fcol?

Sep 18, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Where i work now the RFI volume is very light - we track them in order and have a simple spread sheet with keys for division and numer and date etc.

When I worked on a hospital a ways back it was much more complex - there was a project software package but I didnt have access to it. Im assuming it did the same thing but prob had more variables and keys.

Sep 18, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

well actually we dont do it by division, we do it by trade, similar

Sep 18, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

just a quick question; how could you possibly log an RFI by division? i mean are there that many systems that don't refer to other divisions? storefronts in masonry openings? which division would that go in? masonry, steel, sealants, storefronts? i would think there where an RFI is issued some or many trades/components are in conflict or need resolution...

not being critical, just trying to understand.

Sep 18, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Yeah, it looks like Bovis (on their end) is (maybe) sorting it by "Discipline", same as trade I assume. If I have time I'll get it straight. Nobody else in the office seems to bother doing this. It's just that our senior guy on this one is getting swamped, and I'm about to start 2 new projects. So we'll have a hard time remembering what went where soon.

I think most projects running now in our office are around 200 RFI's. This one will probably be at least that much. Likely much higher, possibly 500+. Yeah, it's a big-ass hospital.

Thanks everyone.

Sep 18, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Beta, you're totally right, and that is a point that one of our senior members said would cause a problem. I actually just came across one that had both Masonry AND steel. So I put it willy-nilly under Masonry. I'll just be consistently putting things with whatever part of the question comes first. It's not that critical, more of a tool to help us find stuff, instead of searching thru 500 RFI's about masonry when we should be looking for 2 RFI's about mechanical.

Sep 18, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

If its initiated by the mason I guess masonry division - but is really on the construction end about tracking $

Sep 18, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
"Prefixes such as “A” for the architect and “SE” for the structural engineer , or “MEP” for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineer can be used to tell documents apart in a change order, RFI, or shop drawing log. The objective is to have the tracking documents reflect a clear and undisputable delineation of design responsibility between each contracted designer of record. Complicated, isn’t it?"

Above quote taken from this article: Double Edged Sword: The Owner’s Separate Consultants

Sep 18, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I put a lot of information into the Excel log: date, title, sub-contractor, consultant (if applicable), sketches issued, date due, date returned, who I sent the response to, whether it was frivolous or a duplicate, and a note if there was anything significant about it. CTRL-F usually gets me to the right one during a search.

Sep 18, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: