Archinect
anchor

asymptote internship?

anotherquestion

has anyone interned there, and what was your experience?

did you actually work on projects, or did you find yourself just doing photoshop and building physical models?

i did a little topic search, found some comments that was helpful, but any stories/feedback out there?

Sep 14, 07 1:39 am
Apurimac

i've been trying to get word back from them for over a week. I sent them an email, never heard back, then followed up in person. I may drop by again next week if i feel like punishing myself. I hear they push interns to the breaking point so I should probably be thankful I haven't heard back from them.

Their office is right next to REX fyi, and the guys there are much cooler about getting back to potential employees even if they eat interns for breakfast.

Sep 14, 07 2:59 am  · 
 · 
n_

There are a few horror stories on this recent thread.

Sep 14, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
meowmeow

They told me interns start with models, but I think it's so people get better used to the software they use, being as they do a lot of 3d printing and laser cutting, etc. I dunno, I like making models, I wouldn't mind doing them all the time.

Sep 14, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Would you mind doing them for minimum wage?

Sep 14, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
meowmeow

That's a step up from free, so I wouldn't mind at all.

Sep 14, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i guess you're supposed to sit with your back against that straight wall or lean over and use your laptop on that little table? hope there's a chair message parlor next door...

Sep 14, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

meta is there a lunch stipend???

Sep 14, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

wow n, thanks for that mention. didn't come across that before.

anyone intern recently and can they comment on the current status of this dish-washing and garbage-disposal delegation? does it still exist?!!?!?!

Sep 14, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mdler your problem is you aint futuristic enough...

Sep 14, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

meta- toss me 2% of that and I'll eat donuts all day for ya' (as long as I can telecommute from home)

you'll still clear 8%....what do you say?

Sep 14, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

and don't forget that if they return the donut you can charge a 15 percent restocking fee...

Sep 14, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

meta, ok funny enough hijack! random tangents is another thread!

Sep 14, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hi tumbles

Sep 14, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

any chance we could switch it up occasionally with krispy kremes?

DD gets a little dull after a while.

what about coffee?

I think we may have a deal, provided we can agree to a 6 month performance review.

Sep 14, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

When I was working in NYC, I lived across from a Krispy Kreme...I would take them to the office all the time

Sep 14, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

sigh

Sep 14, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

do you really think that you are going to get some internship and actually be a designer?

Sep 14, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

gad i lived in the south for too long and can't stand krispy kreme.

top pot doughnuts is where it's at.

Sep 14, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

upon reading the horror stories on the other thread, I will never, ever walk into asymptote again.

Sep 14, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

vado, of course not.

Sep 14, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Krispy Kreme's future not so sweet.
Sep 14, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

holz - those top-pot's look awesome.

meta - those bumps look awesome.

anotherquestion - asymptote not so awesome apparently.

Sep 14, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

ml, yeah. a little scary.

re: donuts: The Doughnut Plant, 379 Grand St, orange glazed. (yeah)

Sep 14, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Ask Israel Kanderian. He used to pitch in at Assymptote every now and then when he was still working for Hani's brother Karim Rashid. I think he thought it was pretty cool.

Sep 17, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

ouch...

Sep 17, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

no, you didnt invent pink....

Sep 17, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

ouch...

Sep 17, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I eat babies

Sep 17, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i eat human ribs

Sep 17, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

he should center up that pointy hair with his schnoz. he's off center...

Sep 17, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Don't we look sexy, like we're in the Matrix or something, I think we do
Sep 17, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Perhaps the question should be rephrased like this:
Are you the kind of intern that should work at asymptote?
Answer yourself these easy questions:
1. Are you self sufficient? (trust funds, loans, worked 3 jobs during the previous summer in order to save your cash to work there, etc...)
2. Can you handle pressure?
3. Are you really confident on your skills and yourself?
4. Have you heard of psychoanalysis?
5. Do you want to grow in the profession been exposed to interesting projects or are you simply looking to fill your IDP hours?

These are just some simple questions that you should ask yourself before trying to work for them.
**Personally I think it is a great design studio. Recently some of my best colleagues and friends have worked for them. One of them actually designed the Alessi Soho store and another completed the design of their Dubai residential building (let me tell you, that building is fantastic and beautiful).
I believe that the perfect intern for them is someone highly skilled and with a high (emphasis on HIGH) tolerance for stressful situations.
Personally, when I was still in the internship period I wanted to work for them because I was sure I fit the profile but… there’s one big problem. I am not great at super stressful scenarios unlike my aforementioned friends who proved to have nerves of steel while working for them.
Alex and Stella have left asymptote after a 2 and 3 year experience at their office, and now they currently run this studio.

Sep 17, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

sweet jesus those are some wicked glasses.

Sep 18, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

we making fun of them in studio for spec'ing a heli-pad made of glass for there Luxury residences in Dubai...

Sep 18, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^'cuse me "their luxury residences"

Sep 18, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
n_

I just want everyone on this thread to know that I had a dream about Mr. Rashid last night.

He was trying to sell me his glasses. I kept telling him we didn't have the same prescription but he kept saying "I'll drop the price, I'll drop the price."

Wow, an archinect thread infiltrated my dreams. Creepy.

Sep 18, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats funny...if i'm self sufficient with a trust fund i could handle the pressure as much as i'd want to. and then say sorry i'm off to visit tecno in the caribbean, and then i ll be in l.a. for the archinect whiskey social, then i'm going down to n_s place for some grand old opry fun. then off to god knows where...

Sep 18, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
n_

I graduated from high school in the Grand Ole Opry.

I did my best Johnny Cash impression when I reached for my diploma on stage.

Sep 18, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
n_

Is there an image attached, metamechanic?

I keep getting an 'error on page' pop up.

Sep 18, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i posted that pic yesterday!

Sep 18, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i posted that pic months ago!

Sep 18, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Damnit, image = FIREWALLED.

They are firewalling everything. They firewalled NPR last week. I'll cry if they firewall archinect.

Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Sep 18, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

you can sleep on my couch

Sep 18, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

FDB, that was a great answer.

ultimately i declined that internship because i am not 'fully funded.'

btw, i randomly spotted you outside barcade one day while walking home. i just recognized you from your archinect picture! funny!

Sep 29, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

um. here is a recent email reply from my mother that is really bad-ass (it is real):

Hustlin the streets is good. You have to be able to feed yourself. Even gangstas have to feed themselves. And it helps to have some cash to party and to pay bills.

Oct 14, 08 3:58 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i did say some crazy shit before that for her to reply in that manner

Oct 14, 08 3:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: