Archinect
anchor

Chicago Style Guide

jealous of the world

I've been looking through old threads, and the google tour maps, but I thought I'd check in for some more info on Chicago:

I'm going to be there for a few days and I was hoping for some thoughts on things to do, buildings to see (new or old), top-five lists, shows/venues to check out, neighbourhoods of interest, delicious food, galleries...

Any help or insight from an archinector's point of view would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sep 13, 07 8:05 pm
postal
http://www.architecture.org/

..take a segway tour and i'll clothesline you...

actually, you could rent a bike downtown and cruise the lakefront, park, etc.

i usually think early fall is one of the best time to go to the top of the sears or the hancock... unbelievably clear this time of year.

be sure to catch a spontaneous parade with a raucous performance of twist and shout by local legend ferris bueller.

Sep 13, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

There's a good button store across the street from Barney's. If you need buttons while in Chicago, I endorse that button store! Also, you will find many excellent check cashing boutiques in the windy city. And of course, you will never be far from a CVS or a Walgreen's pharmacy just in case you develop a headache from all the fun that you're having.

Sep 13, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
blah

"There's a good button store across the street from Barney's. If you need buttons while in Chicago,"

It's gone.

Sep 14, 07 1:24 am  · 
 · 
Katze

VR - WTF???

Sep 14, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 
ether

Check out the Wess Side walking tour. I forget the address (they don't have a website) but you can sign up in person at the NW corner of Kildare and Division. If you happen to be waiting in line outside and a guy in a white sox hat and a red jump suit offers to sell you the "Official Wess Side Walking Tour Map and Guide" at a discount price, don't buy it! It'll be missing pages 5, 6, 23 and 67 which happen to be the best parts of the tour.

Sep 14, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

as far as shows/venues go this is always a good time of year for tours... places like double door, shubas, subteranean are good smaller places, but my personal favorite is the empty bottle... they almost always have good bands... plus its a great bar, and quite cheap.

as far as delicious food goes... make sure when you visit the south side (iit campus) that you hit up maxwell street for some double cheeseburgers... its on my google map

Sep 14, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Vado - That entire Rush St. Rodeo Drive-esque strip of retail is gone - it was demolished from oak to the Starbuck party wall about three weeks ago to make way for another bad highrise. Eventually that (My) entire neighborhood is going to vanish, with High-Rise dwellers asking themselves "Wasn't there a neighborhood here when we went condo-shopping?"

Sep 14, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

P.S. Several square blocks have been / are slated for demolition in that immediate area. If you went back you wouldn't believe your eyes / stomach.

Sep 14, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

where will i get my buttons?

Sep 14, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Vado-It's funny you say that - I used to get my buttons there, too. I'd spend ten bucks on a vintage coat, and 30 bucks on buttons to bring it up to snuff.
Tender Buttons, R.I.P. and yet to relocate:
Displaced Style

Sep 14, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

When asked about the scale of the Parking Level / Retail Plinth onto which another Ugly High rise is to be Perched, One Developer quoted as saying: "We want to bring Michigan Avenue Big Box Retailing to North State Street.."
But he never mentioned why....upon obliterating a century-old business district.

Sep 14, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Poz - thats not all - Cactus/Melvins going down, the block of State from Maple to just south of Division comming down, Tavern on Rush comming down and I here the garage with Gibsons is comming down.

Who's doing this? What slimey Rezko/Daley mobbed up greaseball is getting the green light to do this shit without proper community review process involved in the PD?

Anyways - one has to visit Farnsworth this time of year. Ive actually never been to it. I know some other archinetors who havent either. Maybe an archinect field trip could be in order since its an 1.5 hour trip to plano, IL from downtown.

Sep 14, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

youre kidding me those places are institutions...yeah i got leather buttons on my vintage burberry at tender buttons.

Sep 14, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

if you come to the g-coast in a few months you will see the largest swath of cleared land since the urban renewal days

on the other hand, it will be a totlally new neighborhood -good or bad

Jealous - I highly recomend getting out to the neighborhoods. Most visitors just stick around downtown. Just go without destination in mind and wander. Wicker Park/ Bucktown, Taylor street/ Greektown, maybe go out to Oak Park see the FLW stuff. Just wander around.

Sep 14, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

jsut remember that prairie avenue doesn't have a public john. although theres a starbucks up the street.

Sep 14, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

There is a Michael Graves section for that, Vado

Sep 14, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Am I correct in understanding that pretty much all of Rush Street is being bulldozed? You've got to be kidding me. That was one of the few areas left of downtown that was still interesting.

Speaking of things being bulldozed, Maxwell Street doesn't exist anymore; it's been replaced with Daley's vision of Olde Time Chicago, complete with empty building facades pasted onto parking garages, with cartoon cut-outs of people in the windows.

Sorry to keep harping about this, but Chicago seems hell-bent on destroying anything that makes the city unique. It's like the place is becoming another Orlando, except with crappy weather and a transit system that doesn't work.

Sep 14, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

I was planning on wandering around some neighbourhoods, I think I'm staying around the Lincoln Park area as well.

I am still debating the Farnsworth House trip, but I will have a car so I think I might try to check it out on my last day before I head out.

Too bad about the loss of the buttons. I like a good button store as well.

Sep 14, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
clamfan

gin whats your beef with chicago? every thread your dumping on the chi. I never saw maxwell st. in person but from what I heard it was already gone. At least the area has brought more middle class stability to the area, that will be good in the long run. That area of nearwest side/pilsen is a great area to study urban gentrafication dynamics for anyone interested in urban studies.

Sep 14, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Here's some old-school Chicago Style:
Fishing the Big Pond

Sep 14, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I prefer MLA, or even APA styles, although I do have a Chicago Style Guide I picked up from the school library yesterday. Most of my profs don't care which we use, so long as we're consistent.

;)

Sep 14, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the mla conference is in chicago this year. my exgirlfriend/future wife will be attending...

Sep 14, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

the only styles I know

Sep 14, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

the only style I know

http://www.40ouncebeer.com/pics400/oldstylebottle.jpg

Sep 14, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

oops

the only style I know

Sep 14, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

This was in CNN.com today
chicagotravel

Sep 14, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

as long as you save a piece its okay to knock it all down i guess...

Sep 14, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
blah
Poz - thats not all - Cactus/Melvins going down, the block of State from Maple to just south of Division comming down, Tavern on Rush comming down and I here the garage with Gibsons is comming down.

Who's doing this? What slimey Rezko/Daley mobbed up greaseball is getting the green light to do this shit without proper community review process involved in the PD?

For real?

Which side of State? I assume the east side.

I heard they're keeping the Melvyn's transient hotel facade and making a large "luxury" hotel behind it.

All of these small stores are being pushed into Oak Street which was downzoned years ago.

Too bad about the button shop. They have a sister store in NY

Sep 14, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

East Side of street. North of Elm, South of division East of Rush/State to 1st Alley.
I used to live in the corner courtyard bldg - the one with chicagoblooms. Gone.

Sep 14, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

the hotel is true - keeping the facade to make boutique hotel but kicking out the famed drinking holes

the flower shop up to the still vacant new retail at division is getting all knocked down

tavern is comming down, but not its neighbors,

The gibsons one Ive been hearing about from residents in 2 E. Oak

Amazing to look down State and see nothing but empty land with a friggn walgreens in the middle. I can walk to 3 walgreens, 2 CVS and 6 Starbucks in under 5 min. But I cant rent a fucking video or sit down for a pizza anymore. Or get buttons. But rest assured, a fat doctor for nasty old bar ho's will move in and pump out even more ugly plastifaced grandmas with little dogs etting into their SUV benz's.

Sep 14, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Large parts of the City of Chicago are being turned into this:

You're right about the new business mix: all very high rent. CVS, Starbucks and Walgreens can afford it. Your plastic surgeon can pay $10k a month too. Interesting places like the button store, a good wine shop, or a small local restaurant cannot afford to do that kind of heavy lifting. So the neighborhood is being ghetto-ized.

Sep 14, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

article on HoVeY in the trib.

Nov 4, 07 6:27 am  · 
 · 
TED

hovey = sweat shop

Nov 4, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
John Cline
neighborhood map
Jan 17, 08 8:59 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

shikaakwa

Jan 17, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

favorite stylish dogs list

AMERICA
1. Labrador Retriever
2. Yorkshire Terrier
3. German Shepherd Dog
4. Golden Retriever
5. Beagle
6. Boxer
7. Dachshund
8. Poodle
9. Shih Tzu
10. Bulldog

CHICAGO
1. Labrador Retriever
2. German Shepherd Dog
3. Yorkshire Terrier
4. Boxer
5. Golden Retriever
6. Rottweiler
7. Doberman Pinscher
8. Bulldog
9. Pug
10. Vizsla

Jan 17, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

Whatever you do, don't get a Basenji.
They are beautiful dogs, but they are WILD and have been passed-off as domesticated since first taken from Africa in the 1930's.
I know, trust me....

Jan 17, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Heres the real Chicago Style

i get me mouth from my mama

Jan 17, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

Still the best Dog in Chicagoland:

Jan 17, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

everyone says that, I just dont get it- didnt they catch Gacey there?

Jan 17, 08 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

I think that's Gacy's Rivera in the pic.

Jan 17, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

i like the fries rolled up with the dog

Jan 17, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

IMO, Hot Dougs is the way to go.

Jan 17, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The hot dog stand in Madison Square Park raised a few eyebrows by selling authentic Chicago-style Vienna beef dogs (complete with all ingredients imported from Chicago) along with the more typical New York-style hot dogs. More power to them, I say. Each dog has its merits.

Now if I can just convince Greektown Gyros and Gino's East (along with Cincinnati's Skyline Chili and Philadelphia's Jim's Steaks) to open locations in NYC, my life here will be complete.

Back in Chicago, Chipmunk's on Diversey between Sheridan and Pine Grove was my hot dog vendor or choice.

Jan 17, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: