Archinect
anchor

zap a gap on glasses...

tman

i got some zap-a-gap dots on my glasses...any thoughts on how to remove it.

Sep 13, 07 5:28 pm
tman

sorry, i should have said that it's on the lenses...i tried nova polish number 3 already but it didnt work.

Sep 13, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

um...acetone? carb cleaner? some other equally toxic chemical?

On that thought, just take them to the SCI-ARC studios, I hear they're pretty bad.

Sep 13, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

vinager or alchohol

make sure the acid doesnt frost your lense though...if it's real glass it shouldnt.....

Sep 13, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You could always try to buff them off.

Sep 13, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
tman

alcohol didnt work :(

Sep 13, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

did you put it in a glass, or on your glasses?

Sep 13, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Take them to any local optical chain and tell them what you got on them. They can tell what kind of plastic the lenses are (almost no lenses are made of glass these days) and use the appropriate chemical to get the stuff off.
Alcohol is bad if you have anti-glare coating on your lenses. Acetone eats some types of plastics.

Sep 13, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i emailed the zap a gap company and am waiting for a response *crossing my fingers*

Sep 13, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

How'd you get it on there in the first place?

You should buy a new pair using the proceeds from your lawsuit against your architecture school for forcing you to use such hazardous chemicals that ruined your glasses... just a thought.

Sep 13, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

At least we're not trying to figure out how to get zap-a-gap off your eye.

Sep 13, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

As knowledgeable as the Archinect collective is, one would hope that if he had zap-a-gapped his eye he wouldn't try to solve that problem here.

Sep 14, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
tman

zap a gap in eye requires using an eye wash and then rushing to the ER

Sep 14, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Why would you use zap a gap...That stains model materials pretty nasty...

I never use that..Alot of my class mates do..I hate that stuff..I pretty much Use Elmers and Tacky glue..for Just abot everything..and on Certain wood products(not Bass wood) I use Gorrila Glue..

But zap a gap...is Nasty shit

Sep 14, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

In some rare / extreme emergencys I might use Hot glue

Sep 14, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

in All Honesty Zap a gap is used by people who dont have any patience. Who cant wait for their glue to dry... zap a gap BIG NO NO

Sep 14, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
tman

zap a gap + zip kicker on the backside of surfaces is awesome...

also for study models it's fine to be alittle messy.

for final models takes a lot of patience and use a bottle with a very fine needle point.

Sep 14, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

at least you still have your eyes!

Sep 14, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

I once zap-a-gaped my sac to my leg when I was an undergrad

Sep 14, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

who hasn't?

Sep 14, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
j2h

Anytime I've got zap a gap on something I didn't want, I would use the debonder they usually sell right beside the zap a gap...i think it's Z-7 debonder...if I ever buy zap a gap, I always buy some debonder too

Sep 14, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

clam fan is probly still walking in circles, maybe we should send him some debonder

Sep 14, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

how the hell do you get zap there, clamfan? please tell me you weren't in studio when this happened........ or maybe everyone in your studio built models naked...

...and tman, just get new glasses.

Sep 17, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mkokimoto

Go to your local mega-store with your prescription and get yourself a 40 dollar pair of glasses you can keep in the lab. Theres no way in heck I'm gonna be wearing a 300 dollar pair of glasses where I'm spray painting, using way too much 77, or banging my head against the wall after I glued my fingers to a model and ripped it apart.

Don't you guys remember American Pie 2? that's the first thing that came to mind after reading this thread.

Sep 18, 07 12:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: