Archinect
anchor

Health Hazards in Architecture

evilplatypus

i couldnt even imagine having to use resins in a model

Sep 14, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know i had a dream inspired by this thread. i was at some starchitects office(he/she was never seen just murmered about) i was there visiting for a function or something. there was no work anywhere just blank white walls and concrete columns. periodically a mute intern in black would appear. they always seemed to be sweeping or cleaning up. then when i was getting ready to leave, my vintage burberry overcoat and boots(why i took off my boots i don't know, it was a dream afterall) were covered with some sort of goo, the residue of some model...

Sep 14, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I remeber touring at a campus that was for Industrial design..and They had a spraybooth(with a Ventilation system). Why cant they put those in my Architecture program...

Sep 14, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Do any of the campus you guys attended or are attednding have a spray booth..Because from What i read above it does not seem like it

Sep 14, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think i read somewherez the an apprentice tanner in the 18th century only lasted an average of five years in the trade before croaking.

Sep 14, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Hi all, I'm the one who drove cross country with WonderK. I've been reading the threads of late and just figured I'd put my two cents in. So what would happen if students/faculty etc. were to go one step above and actually address building mechanics issues to the university administration (at least when it pertains) itself? I'm not really knowledgeable in the beauacracy of large educational institutions, but I would think that the university itself would want to do something about it, so as to avoid any issues with OSHA and the sort.

Sep 14, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

call the tv stations! universities are run like little fiefdoms. they do whatever the hell they want.

Sep 14, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino
CantileverApe

- As long as I know, the only requirement is that the firestairs are separated from the rest of the spaces by a 2 hour rated barrier they don't even have to be enclosed.

Sep 14, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

So it's not just Ohio State's bureaucracy that sucks. I was really hoping... (yeah right) When it comes down to it, it's all ultimately about money. Who really cares about the students' health, right?

Sep 14, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you should all rock it Yale style and set fires to your architecture buildings

Sep 14, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

The guys two feet from the backside of my desk right this instance replacing the windows in my office. Reciprecating saw just behind my head ain't fucking good.

Sep 14, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

meta, i too am a big fan of the 'get wasted off of 4 drinks because i haven't slept in a week' move. its cheaper that way.

donating blood and then drinking also has the same effect.

Sep 14, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
ether

does anyone have issues with using West system epoxy resin (not polyester resin) in a large well ventilated space? i had a guy freak out on me once when i was using it. it clearly states in the user manual that you can use the stuff without a respirator so long as it is in a well ventilated space.

Just curious of other people's opinions.

Sep 14, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

"well ventilated space" usually means outside, preferably during a hurricane

Sep 14, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

architecture school should not = fraternity hazing rituals.

having said that, the all-nighters were never about competing with others for some stupid badge of honor, but about me having none of those numb-nut a-hole alkys and frat boys yucking it up and wasting my time and sucking the creative energy out of the studio.

if schools passively require certain methods of production, then they should be required to provide safe facilities to construct these things.

spray rooms and fume hoods are minor "extravagances" compared to osha violations and class action suits.

now if someone can tell me how to wield an x-acto or olfa knife in my sleep, then that is something i can put in my ditty bag.

Sep 14, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

not architecture related but bad chemicals and student story-

I'm not sure if it's apocryphal or not but a story told to the RISD students was that a painting major ignored the advice of the staff and started oil painting with her hands rather than using a brush. After a year or two she started to get a little crazy from all the lead, cadmium, etc. in oil paint and started slapping her oil paint covered hand prints all over Providence. And even though she went crazy and died, you can still see her hand prints in Providence to this very day....
(those that have not been covered by Andre stickers that is)

Sep 14, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

All exacto knives should come with Safety Guards....I have no idea what they should look like but they need to cover absolutely every possible risk on takes when working with them, including tossing them at fellow students.

Sep 14, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

... I think I'm getting the Black Lung, Pop. It's not very well ventilated down there.

Sep 18, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: