Archinect
anchor

Mac Users with Boot Camp: Maya for PC or Mac?

Japhy

I have a Mac and use Boot Camp to run Windows for Rhino and AutoCAD. My question is, since Maya is made in both a Mac version and a PC version, which one should I get? Would there be any benefit to using it on the PC side (for example, having to switch back and forth between AutoCAD?) Thanks for any advice!

Sep 13, 07 11:53 am
rehiggins

well, right now the Mac version is only available as 32bit (though it is now UB) so there may be speed issues.

If you're working in Rhino, and AutoCad it would be less tedious using the PC version and if you're running XP64 or Vista64 you'll be able to use the 64bit version which will give you access to greater speed and memory(RAM) capacity

Sep 13, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
simian

i was having the exact same dilemma a few days ago and opted to run it on the PC side of things. the only issue i was having was the slightly-off placement of the keys (specifically ctrl and alt). it's not that hard to get used to but i thought it might mess me up when transitioning between desktop and laptop to be reaching in different areas all the time. luckily i found a program that can reprogram the keys to do different things. i've made fn = ctrl and open apple = alt. you can find many free programs on the net if you google it that can do this. it's thweeet.

Sep 13, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

I have the mac version. I'm done with Windows. I still have it installed just for Rhino but the iRhino beta is making me happier with each revision.

Sep 18, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

thanks for the info guys, now if only autodesk would make a mac version of autocad......

Sep 18, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

let it die ;)

Sep 18, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: