Archinect
anchor

Vancouver Now! How is it for architects?

Gotan

Hi,
Currently completing the 6000 hrs of intership...
i am looking to spend the last 600 elsewhere.

Being Canadian, living in Montreal...I was thinking maybe Vancouver could be a nice place to go for a few months.

So how is it right now? I heard rumours that jobs in architecture are plentiful...true or false?

Wich firms are cutting edge over there (and get stuff built)

Cheers!

Aug 31, 04 10:20 am
arch6

If you do a general search for canadian architecture jobs in the discussion section for professional practice, you will find my post. A couple of people responded to my post, and out of the information given I found that the www.aibc.com website was the best place to look for jobs.

As far as finding the cutting edge firms, do a google search for architecture awards vancouver.

I am heading to Vancouver this week to apply with a variety of firms, I try to let you know how it goes.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

Aug 26, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 
AB Vancouver

Currently, it's a very busy time for Architecture firms in Vancouver. A lot of firms appear to be having a difficult time finding (or keeping) experienced staff. I have not seen it this busy in the 17 years I have been here.

There are a lot of firms here, including some good ones, but many are small, and are not particularly adventurous - design-wise.

Hope this helps.

Sep 6, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The region looks absolutly stunning and the residential mid-rises look great with the citie's moody skies. I'd love to go see it first hand. Sorry - I know nothing about the local architecture scene but I'd love to go out there some time. From the pics Ive seen it looks like the developers do spend some money on the glazing systems of these newer midrises. The form maybe straightforward but I suspect the glass is exspensive from the great reflected tones I see in pictures. And lots of it.

Sep 6, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
AB Vancouver

You're right. The region is truly beautiful - hence the tendency to wrap our towers with glazing, and a predominant emphasis on "capturing outward views" during design work. Often it seems though, that other design issues tend to get shuffled to the bottom of the priority list, and often get missed entirely. Having said that, I feel the quality of work here is improving, partially because the developer mentality seems to have evolved in a competitive attempt to differentiate newer work, particularly in light of the incredibly expensive property values...

Sep 6, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

not to threadjack here but ABVancouver - did you participate in the tower/ base midrise competition this year? It looked really interesting - the goal to rethink the dominant architype of the big block base that each of these projects sits on. I started it but never got past sketches and work didnt allow for it. the link doesnt show any of the winners.

[url=http://http://www.poto.ca/proto:type[/url]

any news?

Sep 6, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

heres that link....

proto:type

Sep 6, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
AB Vancouver

Thanks for the link. No, that's the first I've heard of that tower prototype competition. I hope it generated some provocative submissions, and I'd love to see them. Perhaps they'll be shown at the AIBC.

In any case, I think the current vancouver model is getting a little tedious. While it works, there's certainly room for improvement, not only architecturally, but in terms of urban design (massing, heights, street edge, continuity...).

Sep 7, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I'd love to see some more competitions in Vancouver - great city and story - I'd say Vancouver is N. America's biggest urban success story in the last 20 years

Sep 7, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Bummer ...that's just about the time I left. Actually it was a success before that it just wasn't on anybodies radar!

Sep 7, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Adamus

I love Vancouver...it blows Portland and Seattle out of the water!

Sep 13, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: