Archinect
anchor

Help! Need big installations

lizok

Hello Archinectors!

I posted before that I now work in a Moscow Arch firm [ http://www.atrium.ru ], and unfortunately there are some things that are just not available in Russia, not yet at least.

We're currently working on a massive interior project for a six floor new glass-box office with a big light atrium in the middle, and the partenrs wanted to put in a light but big semi-functional installation in that middle space. I found a canadian company [ http://www.eventscape.ca ] that does this sort of thing, but can't get in touch with them.

HELP, Does anyone know any similar companies? Location doesn't matter!

Thank you, L

Sep 12, 07 6:24 am

try these guys. they may be able to help. they do exhibition design and installation and have art/design training, and have accomplished some pretty amazing feats. if they can't do the work directly, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

the guy i know is in the brooklyn location, last name mccomsey.

http://www.surroundart.com/home.htm

Sep 12, 07 6:39 am  · 
 · 
lizok

Thank you Steven... thant's not exactly it. I'm looking for someone who can do a complex lightweight frame system with come sort of a translucent outer membrane. [we're not sure about the specific material].

Basically I am looking for somebody like Eventscape who does similar things.

Sep 12, 07 6:51 am  · 
 · 
binary

exhibit houses that i know of

exhibit works (used to work there)
george p johnson
exhibit enterprises
h.b. stubbs

Sep 12, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
lizok

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Turns out that there was a problem with our internal server, so I couldn't get incoming email... now I am in touch with Eventscape, and they are AWESOME.

Sep 13, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

lizok

did you get any $$$ from the government for getting your hump on?

Sep 13, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

that'll come june 12 if he was 'successful'

Sep 13, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
lizok

mdler - I am not following. My firm, as well as the company we're working with have as little to do with the government as possible. That seems to be the general direction here. I am genuinely happy to be working with a firm on the other side of the globe, because I am the one working directly with them, and therefore in charge of a big part of a significant project. Since I only graduated last year, this is phenomenally exciting.

A bit more about Russia - I understand that people tend to be ignorant abour other countries and their internal politics, but maybe that should be your cue to read about it. The Economist is a good start, their position is fairly balanced, or at least as balanced as you're going to get in an international journal. Russia is not what it was 10 years ago, as a matter of fact it is not even what it was 2 years ago. Seriously, look into it, you'd be surprised.

Free Ramos - I am not a guy.

Sep 17, 07 4:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

not being what it was 10 years ago, i am not sure if that is such a good thing either, i don't think reporters or others were being executed or poisoned then...

Sep 17, 07 4:41 am  · 
 · 
lizok

I am not saying that Russia is a beautiful peaceful place, I am not even saying that it has a remotely functional government. I grew up in CA and went to school in Berkeley - 80% of this country makes me furiously angry, the other 20% is just bearable... It's just changing very fast, and it's improving in a lot of ways. Gradually it is becoming possible, and even good, to work in/with Moscow. It's frustrating when people make sweeping generalizations without having the most BASIC understanding of ANYTHING that happens here.

And yes, reporters were poisoned 10 years ago, and not only that, people were casually shot. That's not an urban legend, that actually happened. Trust me on this, Russia [or at least Moscow, that's all I can speak for], is becoming less corrupt and much less violent. People [Russians and foreign investors] are investing enough money in this city that it is in EVERYONE'S best interest to keep the whole system as stable as possible. The reason Architecture is on the rise here right now is that the economy is stable enough to make big investments in Arch and aesthetics worthwhile.

Sep 17, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: