Archinect
anchor

24 yr old student looking for laptop advice (purchase)

awesomekeith

Hello peoples;

I am about to purchase a laptop for architecture school / working on architecture, I am not sure what programs are required, or what kind of computer makes an optimal companion for an architect. 

I know that once school starts in February I will be instructed on what programs I will be running, my professor said we wouldn't be using anything high end or expensive. 

I am here to inquire about what laptops are good for this kind of work. What are minimum specifications I should be looking for as far as graphics, memory, processing speed etc. I like customization so I am probably not going to use a Mac, however are Macs better than PC's? I would like to know what are the best laptops/specs? Also if it is possible to get something above the minimum that would be solid for the next year or two for around $500. What brands are good? What should I be looking for? This computer will be primarily for architecture but as architects and architecture students what else do you find useful as far as your computer goes, even for use that is not directly related to architecture but done on the same computer? 

I am interested in building the computer (preferably laptop) for fun, I am looking for advice on components, and program packages that could be useful. 

I hope this inquiry is appreciated, if there's a forum or thread that already covers what I am asking kindly point me in that direction! 

Thanks

Dec 25, 12 6:38 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: