Archinect
anchor

CTA Funding Meltdown

Synergy

LIG ,

thanks for all the information, what kind of work do you do that you know so much about the train cars etc etc?

Jul 23, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've always had a strong interest in trains and transit, and for a time I was a volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum. At various times I've had the opportunity to operate vintage Chicago 'L' trains, NYC subway trains (at Seashore Trolley Museum in Connecticut), and several types of trolleys.

At my current job here in NYC, my firm does a lot of transit and infrastructure work with the MTA and the Port Authority. We don't really deal with the trains themselves, but we often need to coordinate construction schedules with the people who run the trains, and we get a little bit of an insider's view in the process. (A lot of our work is confidential in nature due to security concerns, but everything I've said on Archinect is already public knowledge.)

Jul 23, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the whole 'cattle car' situation would, i have to admit, be really nice for the blue line.

i live near the damen stop which is 4 stops from the loop. And in particular during the summer months, if i dont arrive at the stop by 750 or so, it becomes a struggle just to squeeze on trains afterwards.
The frequency of the trains running has improved significantly, so its not as much a problem as it was last summer. Never the less, its not uncommon for me to have to wait 2 or more trains before one arrives with enough room for the Damen passengers to fit on. If you live at division, chicago, or grand... forget about it, you wont get on most mornings...

its clear to me that the rush our capacity for the blue line has been reached... and during some parts of the year, is well exceeded. Adding 100 people (or about) per train would make a huge difference.

Jul 23, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

a side note lig, but are you familiar with this

http://users.ameritech.net/chicagotunnel/tunnel1.html

pretty interesting actually

Jul 23, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Yeah.... That's how the Loop got flooded in 1992. Probably the first flood in human history that occurred as the water level of the river was dropping.

Jul 23, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yup, letdown, the exact thing happens entering and exiting the loop on most other lines. I currently live off the brown line and whenever I ride during rush hours it is really packed and like you I often have to wait for multiple trains to pass.

I think the loop is the biggest problem with the CTA, too many lines require the usage of the same tracks, so it is always a huge bottle neck.

My radical solution would be to create a massive second story on top of the current loop tracks, so that different lines could be split between upper and lower. Of course it would be a tremendously massive project and have all kinds of complications, but I still like the idea.

Jul 23, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The first thing I'd do is eliminate the CTA, Pace, Metra, and the Illinois Tollway Authority as separate political entities, and combine them all into a much stronger RTA to handle the region's transit needs. I'd then drastically raise the tolls on the Tollways and use the money to subsidize the mass transit system.

My own massively-expensive infrastructure solution would be to create a second rapid transit system consisting of several lines that extend further out into the suburbs, utilizing larger trains with at least a couple miles between stations, similar to the DC Metro or BART, and acting as a "middle ground" between the 'L' and the commuter rail system.

When these lines enter territory served by existing 'L' lines, there would be free transfers between the existing 'L' lines and the new "Metro" lines at certain major transit hubs. Within the city, the "Metro" lines would largely parallel the existing 'L' lines and make express stops only, while the 'L' trains would continue to serve all local stops.

This would drastically increase capacity of the region's mass transit system, provide much-needed rapid transit service to older inner-ring suburbs that exist in sort of a forgotten gray zone between Chicago and the outer edge cexurbs, and could also be used to provide non-stop express service between the Loop and both airports.

Meanwhile, I'd re-introduce light rail on the major crosstown avenues such as Western Avenue, Cicero Avenue, etc. that currently only have bus service, and I'd also electrify the entire commuter rail system so that it runs cleaner, quieter, and faster than possible with diesel-electric locomotives.

Right now Chicagoland pretty much a two-tier rail transit system: The CTA and Metra. My proposal would create a four-tier system as such:

Regional Division: Today's existing commuter rail lines served by Metra, fully electrified and connecting the Loop with the outer suburbs.
Metro Division: The new BART-style rapid transit that serves inner-ring suburbs and provides express service within the city.
Local Division: Today's existing 'L' system, modernized and expanded as needed.
Surface Division: Light rail crosstown routes connecting neighborhoods outside the downtown business district.

Sad part is, all this could easily be done with the money we spend every few weeks in Iraq.

Jul 23, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

So lig you want to electrify METRA? The most profitable for profit comuter system?

Your insane. Then they couldnt run freight trains on the tracks Metra leases fromt he freight haulers which it make it possible to have such an extensive system.

The inner suburbs already have a bart like system - its called metra and its twice as big. Its 12 min to elmhurst - 18 miles from the loop - I cant name another transit system that has that knind of efficiency at hauling 1,000 people or more per train that fast

Your like some sort of anti chicago troll - go jerk off to the statue of Liberty or something.

Jul 23, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Freight trains can run just fine under electric catenary wire. It happens on the Metra Electric line and the South Shore Line everyday.

Metra doesn't make a profit; it simply has a higher farebox recovery rate than some other commuter rail systems... And there's a huge world of difference between Metra and BART, frequency of service and a dedicated, grade-separated right-of-way being the most notable distinctions.

But you're a proudly ignorant, misogynistic bigot without a shred of credibility on this discussion board, so it's not even worth the effort to even engage you in rational discussion.

Jul 23, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

LIG,

I agree the CTA, Pace, RTA and Metra system would be able to serve the community better if they were more coordinated in their efforts. Combining them into a comprehensive system with universal fare cards and such seems like it could streamline the entire process for customers. It would also encourage Metra riders to use the EL when it is convenient to them and vice versa.

There does seem to be a cap in coverage between the metra system and the EL. When you get out towards then ends of some of the lines, it is possible to live between two lines and really have no functional access to either do to the distance. I guess that is the intent of the circle line? I wonder if it will actually need to be more of a spiral, or multiple circles?

Jul 23, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

And LIG is so fucking smart on urban planning and transit he picks up redlines all day and talks about trains on the internet.

LIG we know Chicagos transit system will never be as good as the ones in every other city in the world. But America's number 2 transit system will figure it out, with out your genius insight and pointings out about its shortcommings, or your disturbing infatuation with trains.

If you think stringing electric cable accross thousands of miles of trak in all the Chicago region is a good idea your sir are an ass. Thousands of transformers, insulators, cables, - ya smart idea. I think the Chicago suburbs do a pretty good job at building their own underpasses at major roads without your vision with out your billion dollar boondoggle.

Hey - LIG - I bet Stroger could use a visionary like you

Jul 23, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
disturbing infatuation with trains

i'm sorry that was just a funny line

Jul 23, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't fight youre both pretty.

Jul 23, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

i can see LIG now in a van by the play lot with his toy train collection

Jul 23, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
WoOwOo!
Jul 23, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No need for me to play with toy trains when I get paid to design infrastructure for real trains.

Jul 23, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Like ADA toilets and mop sinks in some nasty Queens bourogh station?

Jul 23, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: