Archinect
anchor

Space | Architecture, and Inconvenient Truth

le bossman

Hello all.

It is time that we face the facts: that Earth is a finite globe of rock, only 30% land, floating in an infinite space (literally).

It is time that we as ourselves "how long can this continue?"

It is time that we realize that soon, the entire world will be of Asian decent but have American culture.

It is time for Space | Architecture.

This is of course the most fascinating of topics, and in an most exiting time. We will soon be back to the moon, and have the Space | Elevator.

Topics that I'm going to moderate in this discussion:

http://www.spacearchitect.org/

The university of houston

The Wheel:

The welshman:

http://archinect.com/members/profile_view_ind.php?id=500

The Phenomenology of Space Stations:

Renderings of what settlements might look like on Mars:

The Placenta and fetuses in Space:

Possible Alternative means of construction and the impact of 3dh technology:

Knowing that the form is determined by the space but not where the air blows:

Space | Architecture: The future of Mankind

Discuss Immediately

Sep 8, 07 11:46 am
TED

i already feal safe knowing 3dh will be there when i land

Sep 8, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
TED

is this a utopia or is earth a dystopia?

Sep 8, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im going to drive to barnes and nobles right now to do some research. anybody need anything from starbucks? i'll see if the new dwell is on the shelves yet.

Sep 8, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
TED

machiato please, 1 sugar

Sep 8, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think this thread brings up an excellent question. we are already familioar with our environment on earth and at least have an idea of what "sustainability" means here...but in the context of infinite space, what does it mean to be sustainable? is it even possible?

Sep 8, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mankind its been a wild ride. next....

Sep 8, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

sapce | architecture is the only the thinga tat hamatters. it is the inoly thing that matters because hey it flots

fuck the owlverines. i'm so diwsappoined with carr i might killy myself

Sep 8, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i was alsos have joking i hope all you cunst know

Sep 8, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

bossman, what on earth (or space) have you been drinking?!

Sep 8, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

obviously something stronger than coffee...

Sep 8, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

shit, if we can build like that on mars, count me in, ziggy s.

Sep 8, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
ground control to major le bossman...
Sep 8, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

everybody here knows SOM is gonna get the commission for the first space-based megastructure.

Sep 9, 07 2:41 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

For day's I seen this fly , stupid thing. that seem not to noisture, as like it already carry bio batteries enough for a week of flying from the lamp to the door keyhole, walk around the keyhole and fly back to the lamp , continous for a week stupid thing.
This fly could "live" if there was only two percent oxygen , even the air preasure was one percent of here, it would happily go on with studying the keyhole and the lamp , and realy, I do have a clean home so, there are nothing for it to enjoy.
It don't care about air preasure, hardly need any oxygen , I just wonder what a bit gen manipulation could make --- maby a bee, you know honeycomb, maybe a bit manipulation and scale of the honeycomb are changed dramaticly ---- what would it cost , compared , to lift a bee cube to Mars ?

Would it make more results if it could work, --- if instead of constructing mashines we could change some of the bio mashines that already work , wouldn't Gen manipulation render the perfect worker , now we realised they will not send bricklayers to the moon.

Sep 9, 07 7:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

well if the methane gas in the ocean starts getting released then we will be singing bowie's five years rather than any other stardust tune.

Sep 9, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Then simple robots are an option, one that require just sheet material some kind, will build a space station on the moon, if a process manufactoring sheets materials from presant materials are possible ?

I just wanted to display the opposite, manipulating already efficient insects , proberly possible ; but am I sure to hear " no trouble there", manipulating beings into slave labor even insects ? So, if you can't emagine a one function robot, assembling a sheet material structure I can. 3dh will provide anything that respect but I could recomend others. Just want to give designers a chance, even in space.

Why tow ready made houses for space travelers from earth with expensive rockets , why not have simple technikes do the Castles beforehand there, what work out there are already proven to be the automated ,and it's better than the only other way I see, --- to change already efficient mashines, into doing it ; and then emagine it will be bee's.

Sep 9, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I mean you would chose some kind of honeycomb anyway.

Sep 9, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Please remember how difficult the web already work ; emagine you has to promote this or that method as it is it, and then somewhere in your mind you know, that this particular newsgroup, are already occupied by old thinking wanna stay here's , how already highly qualified who know anyone else, that think opposite of them, are idiots and must be eliminated, as if not, wierd hippies gonna take over the cirkus.

True they must be punished, but remember that often tallented designers earn a right to be lazy.

Sep 9, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Houston, We Have a Problem

yes, we will have to construct the honeycomb structures with sheet metal robots, obviously. this will be more efficient because they won't require oxygen. oxygen will be introduced later, after the robotic insect slaves have completed their good work. the sheet metal to make the robots will probably have to be produced in outerspace as well. i see this as a necessity because it will be cheaper than shipping it from gary, indiana.

what off-shoots for other purposes will these scientific pursuits produce? well the most obvious is a race of robots. it seems that these robots could be used to make drawings, perform abortions, and fight the wars. i see no other medium to create these robots than with sheet metal. they will not need oxygen.

there is yes the other more aesthetic issue carried with these innovations. obviously, the notion of robot aesthetic will be introduced. this is important because the architecture will begin to function and resemble an insect. the reason for this is that nothing in the composition will be able to be taken away, everything that is there is that which needs to be there to function, much like an insect. and let us not forget that other structure that the brilliant insects have given us: the honeycomb.

yes, yes, i know what you are thinking. that mars looks like arizona. but how are we not to dream of this day? obviously man has never been to mars; these scenes were shot on a sound stage outside of seligman, arizona. it is hear, on the earth, where it's still warm, that the innovations come from.

i don't know that the designers need to be punished for their lazyness. yes, this is a lazy thread, perhaps. we have provided not calculations, only pure speculation. but it is in speculation that we dare to dream. and it is in the dream alone that we posses the initiative to achieve the realization.

signing off,

le bossman

Sep 9, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

did i read that correctly...per is actually proposing that we use insects as slave labor to colonize outer space??

Sep 9, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm hoping to plant a tree on Europa before I die. I hear it has water. then again, we should send polar bears their.

Sep 9, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey guys check this out:

Sep 10, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Best space station design ever:

Sep 10, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

is that your kid?

Sep 10, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Are you going to make disparaging comments about him if he isn't?

Or maybe if he is?!

Yes, that's my boy this weekend. Space is big in my household right now, so I'm eager to discuss how we are going to build our new McStarmansion there. Three-space-car garage, please, and of course a nebulae-view garden tub.

Sep 10, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

no. chill. i'm sure he is a lovely boy.

Sep 10, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

btw is he for sale?

Sep 10, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

let's make disparaging comments about le bossman instead since he's clearly an insecure individual with suspicious sexual orientations...or something like that

Sep 10, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yes, finally.

Sep 10, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

le bossman why don't you get a life? if you don't have anything useful to post, then don't waste everyone's time with your stupid blogs. i'd love to see your work some time. i'm sure it's complete crap.

Sep 10, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

somebody told me once that le bossman likes maple trees...i didn't think anything of it at the time...but now i realize that's pretty gross, what a sicko

Sep 10, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what the hell who told you that? i don't get it. job captain i have no idea what you are talking about. get lost.

Sep 10, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Job Captain, where did that unwarranted hostility spring from?

Did you get caught up in de-inflated Monday??

Sep 10, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb at least match angus' socks if you're gonna post him on the internets...

Sep 10, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
philipb

damn, and just when i had gotten used to using the word space without conjuring up nasa and the like

Sep 15, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
job job
It is time that we realize that soon, the entire world will be of Asian decent but have American culture.

outside the weird xenophobia/self-loathing, this reminds me of a bad movie - everybody speaks cantonese in outerspace. and fights space zombies. can't recall the name but cher isn't in it

and I think that job captain was (brilliantly) following puddles' suggestion from 14:02 but I like that it was given the digital finger

Sep 15, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: