Archinect
anchor

Photoshop for Architects

ff33º

Seems to be a DVD ..anybody used it...or seen it.

I need help with my photoshop skills on my renderings.

Sep 4, 07 3:53 pm
FOG Lite
http://www.scottonstott.com/vodcast/

Dude has a blog where he has many of the lessons posted.

Sep 4, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Actually it is quite disturbing that the profession of an architect tends to change more and more to graphic designer. Why do I need to work with PS, Indesign, Illustrator, Rhino, Maya, html etc etc?

Sep 4, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Mac, I think this has always been the case with architecture. Once upon a time we were techincal artists resolving by drawing. Now its advanced substantially to include computer technology. But at the end of the day we are spatial magicians we are just finding new ways to get there.

Sep 4, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dang it ! nectors! >:-( must every thread, even technical ones, be turned into dang ol' philosophical soul searching reflections on the state of the profession of Architecture today. I was looking to talk about this cool DVD I found called, 'Photoshop for Architects'...and whether or not to buy it.

I already knew that being an Architect means participating in a daily career crisis ...but right now...I just want to make better looking renderings.

Start your own thread, call it "Gees, Why did I become an Architect cuz it sure is ironic, how i gotta learn stuff all the time. Sure wasn't what i though it was! Geez!"

Sep 4, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Yeah I shouldn't have done it ..... <Mac>

Sep 5, 07 2:31 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

hacking your thread that is...<Mac>

Sep 5, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 

i don´t even use AutoCAD anymore - and i am pretty happy about that.

Sep 5, 07 3:32 am  · 
 · 

at risk of offending existential angst and such...

p2an, you don't draft anymore?

Sep 5, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

it is weird how you get to a point where you don;t have to do 2d cad anymore. If I don't do it 3d something: rhino,sketchup , revit ..then I don;t do it at all. someone was trying to get me to help with some out on some .ctb and xref issues last week,..I found my self wondering why anyone would go through all that. ...but I guess I did too...like back in the 90s

Sep 5, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

*bump

Looking to improve my skills at cleaning up photographs I've taken, specifically color manipulation. I'm mediocre at best and would like to get better. Mr. Onstott above charges quite a bit for those fancy videos. Any suggestions on other tutorials out there? Thanks!

Jan 3, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Peru

John,
There is loads of video podcasts on photoshop out there.
here is a few:
http://creativesuitepodcast.com/
http://www.photoshopkillertips.com/howtosubscribe

Jan 3, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
binary

as mac said
Actually it is quite disturbing that the profession of an architect tends to change more and more to graphic designer. Why do I need to work with PS, Indesign, Illustrator, Rhino, Maya, html etc etc?

i totally agree.......
cad/sharpie/paper/mini table saw/bandsaw/material....thats all i need....

b

Jan 3, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Those look promising, Peru. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Jan 3, 08 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

p2an, 100% PS ;) ?

Jan 4, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 

i just realised i never responded to jumps question about drafting.
well i don't spend 100% of my time in PS, more like 60% in PS, 20% in max, 15% IE, 5% in autoCAD.
obviously my function is quite specific in my office, nicknamed by one colleague as the 'beauty lab', i deal with all the concept and aesthetic issues. i am removed from technical and programmatic concerns and i am happy about that.
so in a way i am more a graphic designer or artist, working on the skins that cover (often) standard dutch floor plans.

Jan 4, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

aww come on you know you are itching to do 'CDs'

many of the best architects in my eyes are coming from a design background with no traditional architectural schooling.

but maybe that is just Bruder's library and FLW's buildings being all around me that have helped to shape my opinion and the fact that i too have taken an alternative path to get my licensing coming from a multi-media backround.

as far as photoshop goes i ALWAYS make sure to have 2 or 3 other programs that can pixel push so i am not dependent on adobe as much as they may like us to be. you know anti-monopolistic tendencies...

artweaver
paint.net
gimp

Jan 4, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

About original post - i think any tiny bit of Photoshop trickery can be useful. Maybe not just trickery aimed at architects...Although I'm pretty much a-hammer-makes-everything-look-like-a-nail type of person when it comes to Photoshop, ie. no wiz...
GNOMON does a whole range of DVDs for all sorts of stuff. They usually get good people...Having said that I find it booooring to watch tuts...Better to just find some forum post or YT thing that solves a specific problem.

I think the main problem I sometimes spot (in school, not pro) is actually people not being very good at understanding resolution, color spaces...That sort of stuff. If you know how to avoid/use aliasing and color cranking/grading you're half way there IMHO.

A good eye also helps...Which equals a lot of time spent looking at images.

Perhaps stating the obvious...

Jan 4, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

RoedGroed, actually i'm not really with you on the whole resolution, color, aliasing thing. as an architect that uses PS to convey a message, the message is the thing, not the technicalities of PS. i couldnt care if my images are grainy, or 'rough around the edges' as long as my boss, or clients 'see' what i am proposing then i have done my job. i am not working in dtp, i am just an architect who uses PS, big difference.
but as you mentioned the most important thing is to know about space, about architecture, and how to convincingly convey your architectural message in whatever medium you use.

Jan 4, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

p2an...Good point...Maybe my "messages" aren't usually that strong so I aim for slickness instead :-)

I was recently introduced to and really impressed with some of the Mies collages (which obviously are not Photoshop). Not sure if they were posted here somewhere, but I think you can browse the ones in the MOMA archive.
That's just a side note off-the-top-of-my-head thing though.

In principle you're right...but why DOES so much architecture graphics work look sooo samey? Perhaps someone could post some really out-there/interesting examples? Your own work would be even better...

ff33 - Hope you're still finding this thread useful?!!

Jan 4, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

RoedGroed, the mies collages are a great example of how to efficiently get across a architectural concept. i love them. in the office where i work i also use quick collages as a means for us to test and discuss ideas, sometimes pasted existing buildings into site fots etc.
the conversation i have alot of time with my boss is how to use these tools like ps or max, but with the fluidity and loosness of sketching.
that is an important element if you want to use them as tools of design not tools of representation.

Jan 4, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Peru

YOU SUCK AT PHOTOSHOP series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeZ0s8DXZ0&NR=1

Jan 27, 08 2:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: