Archinect
anchor

Murphy / Jahn - New International Airport In Thailand -

iaakuza

The project was initiated by Thailand Government since 1960 but finally constructed from year 2002-2006

Costed $3.8 billion (including corruption, every Thais know that because how much money do it had to use in order to turn a swamp into the appropriated site for an airport)

The airport has 2 parallel runways (60 m wide, 4000 m and 3700 m long) and two parallel taxiways to accommodate simultaneous departures and arrivals. It has a total of 120 parking bays (51 with contact gates and 69 remote gates). In the initial phase of construction, it will be capable of handling 45 million passengers and 3 million tonnes of cargo per year.Between the airport hotel and the terminal building are the two 5-storey car parks with a combined capacity of 5,000 cars.

As being an architect, I really like the design of this airport because of both spaces and structures are elegant and impressive . But as being a user, I don't like it at all. It's very hot inside because of the high ceiling with fabric tensile roofs eventhough there are air flow coming from the floor but It cannot help at all. I felt gates are very very far and not lively like Schipol Airport in Amsterdam despite the fact that it is the major case-study of this Thailand's new airport.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

more informations and photos :
http://iaakuza.blogspot.com/2007/09/helmut-jahns-airport-in-thailand.html

Sep 4, 07 10:35 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: