Archinect
anchor

Your Greatest Deal on a Book?

archMONSTER

Today I just scored a brand new hardcover of 'Arcology: The City in the Image of Man' by Paolo Soleri for 9 bucks at a small local bookstore! I’ve always wanted to own this book… the illustrations alone are to die for! Sure beats the $80 note everywhere else for it.

Plus it was a 20% off weekend sale due to the holiday weekend… Gotta love those small town bookstores!

Just wanted to see what deals others have found.

Sep 2, 07 2:37 pm
n_
10 x 10 _2

: NEW for $12

Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture: NEW for $10

Asymptote - Flux: NEW for $5

My former employment iwould have a Phaidon representative come to our office once a month or so with 3 or 4 cardboard boxes of Phaidon books. We would select the ones we wanted, then go in a bidding war with the Phaidon representative to see how cheap we could get the books. I was amazed that I would purchase a $100 retail price book for $10 and he claimed he was still making a profit off of it.

Sep 2, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

your 10X10 link says new for $47.25 , where do you get $12?

Sep 2, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i haven't scored any book deals yet. but i did get $2,000 for a 500 word essay once. that's my best deal yet...

Sep 2, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Nice one, Amoroso! I've always coveted that book, too.

My best was Lebbeus Wood's The New City for $10.

Sep 2, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Shanghai, China.

Phaidon prints many of their books in Chinaland so the rep was bringing books directly off the printing presses.

Sep 2, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

scored sverre fehn's monograph in almost perfect condition for $15.00 at a used book store in alexandria.

2 years ago, i picked up zumthor's a+u, fehn's thoughts on construction, the 1st (of 3 - wtf?) monographs on James Cutler and pamphlets 1-10 (holl et al) for $10 from a parent selling his daughter's arch books.

Sep 2, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

SMLXL (first edition, no less) for $5 and some change, shipped from half.com

Sep 2, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Flux I got for - $2
House Of Cards - $25 - Mint
Education Of An Architect [Hard Cover] - $20
Appliance House - $70
Mask Of Medusa - $20
7 Houses - $20
Unfolding [folio] - $40; worth anywhere from $90 - $1000 [signed]
I also picked up a book on Soleri written by Don Wall for $20

Sep 3, 07 5:02 am  · 
 · 
cockroachvomit

h&dm el croquis (90s projects) for $6. almost fainted.

Sep 3, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
theglow

i got s,m,l,xl for 6 bucks at a library sale and later found out it was a first edition

Sep 3, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Adjaye - Houses for $9.00
Adjaye - Making Public Buildings for $10.00

Moshe Safde - Life After The Automobile for $13.00

Sep 3, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
outed

i picked up ben nicholson's 'appliance house' for 9 bucks at a used bookstore in cambridge. beautiful images.

picked up the entire iaus pamphlet/exhibition catalog series (1-16) for free from a former professor.

also grabbed the definitive eames book (the neuhart one) for $10 at a used bookstore as well. brand new condition....

Sep 3, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

I ordered a used copy of Venturi's Complexity and Contradiction from Abebooks.com for $7 and the, i guess clueless?, bookseller sent me a first edition MoMA published copy, because apparently its worth upwards of $250.

Sep 4, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

sevensixfive, where the heck did you get your paws on that beauty (Lebbeus Woods's Book) for that cheap?? I've been looking for that book for ages, without any luck (let alone a discount).

Sep 4, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

not architecture, but i found a copy of appalachian portraits by
shelby lee adams for $15 or so...it's apparently worth $295 at least
now...

i use the website isbndb.com to check out prices every now and again.

Sep 4, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Squirrelly - it was a tiny small town used bookstore, one of the best types of places to go digging, judging by this thread. It was originally marked at $15 but I asked the guy if he offered an architecture student's discount and he knocked it down to $10, which was good b/c I was pretty broke at the time.

Sep 4, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I had been trying to find a Karel Martens book for a year. Finally found it at a small bookseller in Australia for $50, who shipped it stateside.

It's now worth over $1000.

http://www.amazon.com/Karel-Martens-printed-matter-drukwerk/dp/0907259200/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7438577-9880905?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188930923&sr=8-1

Sep 4, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I like the cover of that book, Liberty Bell.

Sep 4, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: