Archinect
anchor

Charlie Rose w/ Architects @ YouTube

Medit

I've been searching for some architecture videos on YouTube recently and found out that in the last week or so they have uploaded some old interviews with architects appearing in that show.. here are some (I guess they will be uploading more in the near future since some are from only a couple days ago):

1994: Gehry:

1996: P. Johnson:

1996: Eisenman:

1998: Meier:

1999: Hadid:

2003: Koolhaas:

2005: Piano/Gehry:

MORE

---

Updated via the comments below:

Thom Mayne:

Aug 31, 07 8:53 am
Liebchen

The beginning of this Koolhaas video is funny...Charlie is obsessed with his read glasses, deciding that they must be very expensive. Koolhaas says no, they cost 5 bucks at the airport. He offers to let Charlie keep the glasses.

(you have to advance through the episode by about 2/5ths)

Aug 31, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

very nice. thank you.

Aug 31, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

I LOVE THAT, WITH THE GLASSES! thanks for pointing that out leibchen!

Aug 31, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i used to watch charlie rose. but now its on like at one in the morning and this cragger has to sleep. perhaps the worst interview i ever saw of his was with chipperfield, in it chuckie kept talking about gehry and bilbao and didnt talk about chipperfields projects at all.

Aug 31, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Medit - I hope you don't mind, but I've edited your post so that the videos are embedded here. This is a great resource!

Aug 31, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

it is on google video (i don't know if non you-tube qualifies) but here is the one with thom mayne. the guy looks pretty nervous in the beginning but later charlie eases him out a little.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8057640610707158722

Aug 31, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

We'll update Medit's initial post with others that people post here.

Orhan - I believe all Google video is shared with YouTube since Google bought YouTube.

Aug 31, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

why not just go to the source at charlierose.com? click on the art and architecture section and browse. the site offers embedding codes too.

Aug 31, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

charlie rose gets down to business

Aug 31, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

thanks Paul!.. I think we can embed videos in the first message of a topic, no?.. but I didn't how to do it or what's the code (maybe you could add it below, after the required code to post an image..)

the "MORE" link was for the "architect" search (which gives you mostly interviews).. but maybe doing a search in their YouTube account with "architecture" there will be more stuff... they have more than 3.000 videos uploaded!

I found this one about the Mies exhibitions in 2001 in NY, the one about Mies in Berlin and the one of the Minimalism's Kaiser in America (Bergdoll, Lambert, Goldberger): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8LvE7vtNZo&eurl=

I also have found other videos (in various languages, or from other sites -found via Youtube- like http://archiworld.tv/ ) about architects these days... I've been uploading them here: http://www.geocities.com/medit1976/arq.htm ...

but definitely the best ones are those from the Charlie Rose show.

Aug 31, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

bojangles...does the charlie rose site have all of them? i feel
like it's not updated to the present day or something...but
i could be wrong.

Aug 31, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

yeah, it has all of them. click on the Date tab and you'll see them in order.

Aug 31, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

re; charlie rose show on architects;
looks like frank gehry hasn't been around last few weeks...

Aug 31, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I like this episode from September of 2002 after the first Ground Zero redevelopment schemes where presented and the New York Times Magazine devoted an issue to how much they sucked. The show features Steve Holl, Vinoly, and Eisenman, in addition to Times writers and critics discussing an alternative future to the site that unfortunately never materialized.

Aug 31, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

thom mayne knows his shit

Aug 31, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

heres a funny one, Brad pitt talks about his passion for architecture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFf11SEctY

Aug 31, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

ok something must be wrong with mine, but everytime I click on that REM.K video it gives me OMERT instead ....wtf?

Aug 31, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
ok something must be wrong with mine, but everytime I click on that REM.K video it gives me OMERT instead ....wtf?

skip the first half hour.. Rem appears at 30:15

Aug 31, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

and in lots of others videos architects are mixed with other people.. click on the videos to see who's on each program -video descriptions lists the guests in order of appearance-

Aug 31, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

ahhh, this is the first time I've ever heard him speak. I always heard he sounded very British - the rumors werent true. Great vids

Sep 1, 07 12:47 am  · 
 · 
blah

I loved Charlie Rose about 10 years ago. Now, I think Charlie talks too much and, as I get older, I find his questions haven't matured. He hasn't learned anything. This was really evident in his interview with Noam Chomsky when Chomsky has to stop and tell him he hasn't a clue.

Charlie needs to learn more about Architecture and maybe his interviews will get better.

Sep 1, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

This is great!. How about listening to MR. Childs get all rattled by the young looking Greg Lynn when he mentions computers and David Child says, " I have the most expensive computer and let me tell you how limited they are"_D. Childs
*If they are so limited, why does SOM now has a section specifically dedicated to computation only? ....sorry can't stand that guy.
*It's amazing to see how nervous 10 years ago all this guys were of computers and digital technology*

Sep 1, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, the one with Eisenman at DAAP was great, first Peter gives Charlie a tour, then Charlie talks to the head of the school and the senator the school's named after, then there's a big panel discussion wih Lynn, Whiting, Kwinter, Graves, Tigerman, Meier, Paul Goldberger, Muschamp ... good times.

Sep 2, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
rodgerT

I can't believe Mayne questions why the public at large is reluctant about “state of the art” design. As he points out, they are quiet happy with state of the are headphones etc. but when it comes to the built environment they balk. The glaringly obvious reason is headphones are cheap and can easily be replaced if they do not function, a building (once built) is immeasurably more expensive and cannot just be replaced. Most people do not want their money used in a didactic, largely unproven exercise in modern architecture and would rather go with the sedentary “safe” option.

Sep 3, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Travis Woodward

I find that charlie rose is a pretty good interviewer within his sphere of knowledge. Interviews with politicians always seem to be quite good.

But when it comes to Art and stuff, he blows. I saw his Bjork interview and it was obvious he doesn't appreciate Bjork, hasn't listened to the music, etc. Asked really mundane questions, etc. He should stick to his strong points.

Sep 4, 07 3:47 am  · 
 · 
simples

i try to see who is on Charlie every night...i appreciate the wide range of guests he interviews...from movie actors, writers, politicians, musicians, artists, and architects,etc...it's worth remembering that his audience is not architects, but the general public, so not only i appreciate him hosting architects, but i also believe his questions to architects - more or less - reflect that...anyways, i like charlie rose...

Sep 4, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Ya gotta love Ol' Phil Johnson breaking into tears of joy (?) while touring Bilbao with Mssrs Rose and Johnson. . .

I'm afraid I have to agree with makeArchitecture; Charlie is one of those interviewers who just has to keep telling us how informed he is, at the expense of his guest. Repeatedly nterrupting a person (whose insights and experiences are supposted to be the subject) in mid-thought is hardly generous -- to the guest or to the audience.

Still, I watch him when there's an interesting subject. In my city the previous night's show is re-run at noon. . .

Sep 4, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

how can you guys put down the ONLY person on television finding interest in architecture and talking regularly with architects?

Sep 4, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

[I meant Mssrs Rose and Gehry, of course.] Well, you have a point. . . Perhaps I shouldn't "look a gift host in the mouth," to mangle an old saying ?

SDR

Sep 4, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Viola

Thanks for sharing ^_^

Sep 5, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

I agree with Bojangles Charlie's interviews are not for the sake of other architects but for the general public to get an insight into the world of that particular architect. I rember watching Phil Johnson with my wife and she found it very eyeopening and thought phil the old fart was great. I don't watch a lot of that thing but he does a much better job at exposing design / architecture / art than some crap reality TV show on how to flip a house by cutting corners / codes and grinding trades.

Sep 5, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
blah

"how can you guys put down the ONLY person on television finding interest in architecture and talking regularly with architects"

I am not putting him down for trying. I just think that Charlie needs to grow and become less star struck and ask better questions. And use better judgment when choosing his guests. Think about it. Charlie used to have the Tyco dude, Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling on all the time and was instrumental in being used by William Kristol and the other neocons to make the case that Saddam Hussein was behind 9-11. That's enough reason for me to write him off as a fool.

I have enjoyed some of his interviews--like the one with Richard Serra years ago. But I think it's a mixed bag.

I think we need to ask a lot of our media these days because they ask so little of themselves.

Sep 6, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I'll add another one:

Rose: "Architects are an interesting bunch.... They're all characters. I've never seen a bunch of people more competitive than architects. If you want to know if there's something bad about an architect, ask another architect"

Ken Burns and Lynn Novick on PBS' "Frank Lloyd Wright":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqfgUG_A_0

Sep 17, 07 5:10 am  · 
 · 
Undermost

Yeah, this is really great video. Thank you for your upload of this video..
Check my website, how find out baby gender

Dec 27, 10 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Undermost

I like this video..It's really cool and eye catching..
O yeah...don't forget to visit my website. It's a guidance how to make a boat

Apr 23, 11 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: