Archinect
anchor

Franchising of Cities

dlb

Quotes from an article in the Gulf News, 29.08.2007:

"Real estate firm Middle East Development is securing massive tracts of land in Yemen, Djibouti, and Syria to build whole cities from scratch.

"There is a great need for larger developments with the infrastructure to accommodate rapid economic and population growth," Osama Al Dimashki, the CEO of Middle East Development said yesterday.

"The future will be the franchising of cities. Whole cities that are run by private corporations and businesses rather than governments and bureaucracies," he said.

Aug 31, 07 4:26 am

Ahhhh,
I certainly hope so,
A return to the self-soveriegn city-state of the Middle Ages.
It is how Londo works now...
As a governmental unit perhaps they are more reactive to problems?
Read an interesting article along these lines..

The City of God and the Global City
http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=520

Aug 31, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Also,
see recent discussion
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=63655_0_42_0_C

Aug 31, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

a speculative city run by a private corporation ain't a self-sovereign city-state by any stretch of the imagination.

that ctheory article concludes by suggesting plurality as the means of local governance (and rightly recognizes that sovereignty isn't possible for local city government).

since when have you noticed plurality as a condition or outcome of corporate speculation?

except under the most visionary and convincing leadership, the risk of plurality would seem to be antithetical to the risk-averse nature of for-profit corporations and their mission - to maximize shareholder value.

Aug 31, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i get the new york franchise.

"i, lord bossman of archinect, declare that from this day forth, there will be McNew Yorks in every land in which i declare them to exist."

Aug 31, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

please bring a new dependency on alternative fuels, so these egotistical zealots will once again fade into obscurity.

Aug 31, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well they might be offered as a "healthy alternative," similar to the McSalad vs. the McRib

Aug 31, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think i miss mcdonalds

Sep 1, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I would like to read the whole article, can you post it dlb ? If the city is "franchised" who is building the infrastructure ? To whom do the denizens pay taxes to ? Its an interesting term but I doubt that the true "franchising" of cities would be feasible in market driven/industrially advanced economies. however, in many countries where the government cannot provide for basic infrastructure, corporate run cities would be a welcome alternative for many.

Sep 4, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

we have these already. they are called resorts.

Sep 4, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: