Archinect
anchor

Single Hauz?

WtfWtfWtf™

Interesting idea, but I don't see any electric or plumbing, unless it's hidden in that 18" diameter stem...
Front Architects

Aug 29, 07 2:10 pm

My comment in the post:
Pretty cool but it seems to me that it would be an infrastructural nightmare. Roads, electricity, water, Garbage, Schools, WalMart...
Is this just an idea for a well designed exburb?

These make me afraid because they look like the post WWII propaganda of suburb. These houses will not be able to go into these sites without major damage to these beautiful sites. If, however, they were meant to populate the dead space that are the sides of highways and roads I begin to get excited.

Aug 29, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Dryland is not a myth, I have seen it!

Aug 29, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
iaakuza

it is cool but i'm just concerned about the structure: it can work for the vertical load (the stem seems quite big) but it looks very fragile for the windload (in the joint between the stem and the billboard ) and in a seismic condition... anyway it is cool

Aug 29, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

who needs plumbing? you bring the beer in coolers on the back of your boat and you pee off the side.

Aug 29, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

that's what the open railings are for!

Aug 29, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

this whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

Aug 29, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

What whole thing?

Aug 29, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i love it and hate, but that is bound to happen when someone actually puts pen to paper an idea you had over 10 years ago....

iaakuza, me thinks the final solution is a lot less elegant than this "structure" portends....

Aug 29, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

...why?...

Aug 29, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I think "not per" is the only one here who gets it.

Aug 29, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

dude, architects make things so complicated.

Aug 29, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

is that a floating ice bin? Lots of space to load the beer - I want one

Aug 29, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i had a prof. that was working on something similar in a floodzone in florida or georgia and the whole house was going to be elevated 10' on a giant steel column, roughtly 6' in diameter, that would carry up all services.

this wasn't meant to be a typology or a community, but a unique project in a tough and demanding environment.

but would you really want your the mast of your 46' hunter bobbing around in your view? and it doesn't make a strong case for the urban condition.

Aug 30, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 

that's the same project! was your prof someone from front, holz?

so now i'm confused. is this some sort of post-global-warming/melting-of-the-arctic-ice/rising-of-sea-levels project? because if that's the case, i'm digging it much more.

cue the soundtrack to 'waterland'.

Aug 30, 07 7:25 am  · 
 · 
philipb

Shame about the site's in the pictures - i dont see the house ever being practical in the middle of the ocean or city. Could be usefull in floodzones or steep terrain areas though.

Aug 30, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I've seen similar concept at least 3 times while I was at SCI-Arc, living in LA it was a pretty obvious idea due to all the huge billboard structures around. None of the SCI-Arc projects had such pretty renderings though.

See COA's Brix restaurant for actual use of billboard structure in a project. (I think that was the name of the resturant, not sure and no time to look it up.)

Aug 30, 07 8:31 am  · 
 · 

SW... that's how i was reading it... i assumed that it was a sort of post-apocalyptic project... we could use them down here in florida since we're gonna be underwater in 20 years...

Aug 30, 07 8:37 am  · 
 · 

yeah, definitely not new, but clean resolution and presentation.

a guy in my undergrad, chris brooks (in japan last i heard. you out there chris?), used the la freeway and 'occupied' billboards in his thesis project in '91.

Aug 30, 07 8:38 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Q:wouldn't it be cool if....
A: yeah for about five minutes. let's move on shall we.

Aug 30, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
coedname-X

They kind of remind me an idea of for 'tombs' for ad agency executives. iihhhiiii...

Aug 30, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X
Aug 30, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
See COA's Brix restaurant for actual use of billboard structure in a project. (I think that was the name of the resturant, not sure and no time to look it up.)

i work near this place and the billboard is gone and it's no longer called Brix. but it was called Brix and it's in COA's book...they've left the huge lower portion of the post and welded a new 6 inch dia. post on top to mount the new sign. if you didn't know the story behind it , you'd think, "why is that big ass 2' dia. billboard post holding up a tiny sign?"

Aug 30, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

Brix couldn't compete with El Pollo Loco.

Aug 30, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: