Archinect
anchor

interior doors in a brutalist building

pdeaton

We are renovating a 1970s Brutalist style courthouse and adding some interior wood doors that will have 100 square inches of glazing. Any ideas or images on the best design for the glazing (slot, porthole, etc.)? The existing building has no doors of this type. I've looked online for some interior shots of similar buildings with no luck. Thanks.

Aug 29, 07 10:39 am
vado retro

hope they don't have to be fire rated.

Aug 29, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

this isn't a situation in which there is a 'typical' answer for doors in this style of architecture. 'brutalist' itself connotes any of a variety of approaches to the design of sculptural concrete form. hell, it's not even always concrete. sometimes there is a textural aspect to it, sometimes the concrete is more smooth/slick.

the type of doors you propose, then, is a design INTENTION decision, not just a stylistic choice. do you want the door to send any particular kind of message? do you want it to recede from the viewer's attention, highlighting other aspects of the building?

my instinct would be to start with a slab door and simply test different configurations for the openings. but i could also see an argument for panel/rail type doors, depending on the formality you want to communicate and how 'busy' the design is around it.

pictures? more info?

Aug 29, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

just give me the project. I can probably do a better design job than you could, anyways

Aug 29, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i vote for one hundred 1 inch square holes.

Aug 29, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL jafidler!

I lean towards a slab too, with a long narrow vertical slot opening - narrower than the typical high school door.

Aug 29, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

how about tipping it 22.5 degrees for effect...that way you can see them coming at ya!

Aug 29, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

Does the fact that 'Brutalism' originates from the French, beton "brut" which means exposed concrete mean that it must be concrete or should the more coloquial term be assumed these days?

Man, I sound like a nerdy laywer.

Aug 29, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
pdeaton

Thanks for the replies. The doors are rated which is why the glazing is limited to 100 square inches. The building is by Catalano and is very similar to the student center at MIT.

Aug 30, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
simples

Pdeaton...i've just put my pragmatic hat on...here are my suggestions:

no glass...solid wood doors...if you are replacing existing doors, refer to existing doors...if your new doors will be placed in a wall that contains existing doors adjacent, refer to existing doors...select your door handles carefully...if these are new door openings, make them as tall as possible...

oldenviriginia...i thought "brutalism" just meant ugly!!!
(that was a joke...i love brutalist buildings, actually)

Aug 30, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 

pdeaton - we did portholes in ours. Oddly enough I was at the building today. Will send pictures soon.

Aug 30, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Note that pdeaton specifies the inclusion of glazing.

A recent visit to the newish central San Francisco courthouse showed me courtroom doors with c. 2 1/2" strips of glass between c. 7" rails, filling the panel field within a typical (if tall and heavy) stile-and-rail door. This construction, perhaps in White Oak (or whatever the chosen interior trim specie), seems fitted to a Brutalist structure.

And ya gotta love those exterior doors at Aalto's hpuse. . .

Aug 30, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jukkar/387982046/in/photostream/

That's Aalto's summer house. . .

Aug 31, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: