Archinect
anchor

part time job with benefits?

spaceghost

I was offered a part-time job at an engineering firm where they want to have a few architects on board. Right now the principal in charge of the architecture portion of the firm is the youngest on board. They have a few other semi-retired guys working with them too. They are looking for some young blood to come help them out.

I myself have been working on my own for the last year and a half and have a two residential projects weeks away from the building department and two residential projects starting schematic design. I would like to get into public architecture, but it seems you either need to have built work to get work, or you need to win a competition.

Although the projects themselves are not that interesting, I'm really hoping to get something out of working with the old guys. Some of my fondest memories were working with a semi-retired architect who would come in once a week and red-line the drawings at a previous firm I worked for. I would ask him, "R*** how would I attach this canopy if I do not want to see the connections?" He would whip out the red pencil and start cussing "you've gotta put this damn thing over there, and these fucking bolts need to connect right here to this damn thing..." I really learned a lot.

Most of that is a digression. This new part-time job is mine to take if I want it. During our sit-down I was asked what my compensation requirements would be. Since most of my other experiences of working for architects has been on some sort of independent contract basis, I fired off a number slightly under what I bill myself out to my own clients. I had just gone into the office to see what they do there and meet the principal architect so I wasn't really prepared to negotiate a salary and I told them so right after I gave my number. I asked if could email them a figure after I had spent some time thinking about it. Which they were fine with, and also mentioned that I might not be able to ask for as much as i bill myself out for especially considering benefits. Again I was caught off guard. I didn't ask what sort of benefit package they are offering.

So after all of that here is my question, how much are benefits worth? I'm considering sending them a $/hr without benefits and tell them the number is negotiable depending on the benefits package. I personally didn't know you could offer benefits to part-time employees. Most architects I worked for spent so much energy trying to keep their employees as independent contractors to avoid providing them with benefits.

Any tips or advice?

Aug 27, 07 6:40 pm

I think it would be fine for you to tell them what number you would expect as an independent contractor, and say that if that is not the sort of situation they had in mind (like they want to you be an actual employee not a contractor), then that number would be up for significant negotiation depending on the benefits and tax status of the position.

When I worked as an independant contractor, I was taxed about twice as much as when I worked as an employee, so that's one big issue to take into consideration. The others you should have in your own records- how much to you spend per year on health insurance? life insurance? vision or dental? professional registration? When you see what's on offer in that regard, just adjust your salary expectations accordingly.

Aug 27, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i worked at an office that was primarily an engineering firm. the work would be numbingly boring for the geniuses that lurk on archinect, but it's a good way to learn some things.

Aug 27, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You will never forget a welding symbol and this is good!

Aug 27, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

Part two of this question is: Is it ok to accept a job if you are only considering staying on for a year, maybe two?

Aug 28, 07 3:51 am  · 
 · 
snarkitect

You have no idea what your future holds; you may stay for only a year, you may love it and stay for ten.

Aug 28, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: