Archinect
anchor

The New Science of Parking - PARK(ING) DAY LA

Will Wright

On behalf of AIA Los Angeles, I cordially invite you to attend a panel discussion about "The New Science of Parking." The event is free and open to the public. Please feel free to invite others. All are welcome with advance RSVP to [email protected]

AIA/LA presents in association w/ Park(ing) Day LA
"The New Science of Parking" - a panel discussion
Monday, September 17 (7pm)
Barnsdall Gallery Theatre
4800 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(w/in walking distance to the Sunset/Vermont metro station)

Moderator:
John Kaliski, AIA - Principal, Urban Studio

Panelists:
Carolyne H. Krasnow, Ph.D. - Principal, Walker Parking Consultants
Pat Gibson, P.E. - Senior Market Leader, Fehr and Peers Transportation Consultants
Donald Shoup, Ph.D . - Professor of Urban Planning - UCLA
Mott Smith - Principal, Civic Enterprise Associates, LLC
Doug Suisman, FAIA - Principal, Suisman Urban Design
Michael Woo - LA City Planning Commissioner & adjunct professor in the USC School of Policy, Planning, and Development

Limited Capacity. PLEASE RSVP to: [email protected]

The Barnsdall Gallery Theatre has been provided with the generous support of COUNCIL DISTRICT #13 and The Los Angeles City Department of Cultural Affairs.

"The New Science of Parking" panel discussion is being created in conjunction with an event that AIA/LA is helping to coordinate called Park(ing) Day LA, which will be on Friday, September 21st.

The first annual Park[ing] Day LA will bring together a diverse constituency of community groups, neighborhood councils, design & architecture firms, professional organizations, non-profits, cyclists & pedestrian advocates as they work together to transform numerous parking spaces & parking lots located throughout Los Angeles into ephemeral parks for the day. By occupying a parking spot and feeding the meter, volunteers will enhance the street with a sustainably designed pocket-park.

We've developed a website (www.parkingdayla.com) and plan to create a mapping system of all the parks that will be created. Likewise, we are also creating a series of programs and events to complement Park(ing) Day LA and to encourage as many people to participate as possible.

Click here for more details

Aug 27, 07 4:58 pm
WonderK

Hi Will....

Sounds interesting and I'd love to attend, but I have class that night. Will there be a synopsis of the discussion on the web site after the panel discussion? And are you taking any questions? I'd love to submit a couple even though I cannot make it...

Aug 28, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. This whole thing makes a lot more sense when I see pictures like the ones I found here on Treehugger....how cool! I want to do one! Anybody want to make a park in a parking spot with me?!?

Aug 28, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

great idea. i really applaud aiala for taking this on.

here in detroit, we have what are called "blots," coined by a nyc design firm that escapes my memory, the term combines block + lot. essentially, it is individual homeowners that have taken over abandoned property adjacent to their lot and claimed it as their own, often forming whole blocks that are owned by a single homeowner. due to neglect by the actual owners of the lots and the city, most of these claimed spaces eventually default ownership to the person tending the land or are sold to the blotter at a small cost.

similarly i've been developing a strategy of "park-n-parks" that take over parking lots and attempt to transform them into landscaped park space while retain their function as a parking lot.

i heartily support any effort to confront such a huge problem as urbanism and parking in cities like detroit and l.a.

Aug 28, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 

i wish that i could come... but alas, i live in florida and will be in copenhagen on park[ing] day... my thesis was on parking and public spaces...

by the way, park[ing] day was started by an "artists collective" in san francisco called REBAR

Aug 28, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

can I park my car in the Barnsdall lot for the lecture?

Aug 28, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Anyone in chicago thought about this at all?
Anyone thought about archinect sponsored park(ing) day installation? A larger group could easily tie down several spots in a row... any thoughts?

Aug 28, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

will i have to conceal the cooler at these ephemeral parks?

Aug 28, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

the one here in SF last year was a total hoot! there was one spot set up outside a wine bar situated between the Financial District and China Town.

everybody kind of relaxed the "No Liquor on the Street Policy" for the time being, and sauntered out of the wine bar, glass in hand, to relax in the PARK(ing) spot.

100% awesome.

Will - you should post pics of the discussion and then of course of the event itself.

for those who glossed over his link up there (like me...) here it is again.

Aug 28, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The economics of "free" parking is central to this issue for cities, and parking guru Donald Shoup will be participating in the LA seminar.

http://www.planning.org/APAStore/Search/Default.aspx?p=1814

Aug 28, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
siggy

yay, i am so excited for ours! we just got a delivery of...70...traffic cones for our park today. :)

when you see our traffic cone park you'll know who i am - my identity will be revealed!

Sep 11, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Woo hoo, PARK[ing] Day today....some images on my Flickr page. Here's one:

Sep 21, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

A few of us Berkeley M.Arch students converted a parking spot into a living room right outside the Cheeseboard, an immensely popular pizzeria and cheese mecca. If you live here, you are aware of the crowds that sit on the thin grass medians to eat their pizza because there simply isn't enough seating. So a lot of people took advantage and sat down on our couch--people that we would normally have just passed by on the sidewalk. It was a great experience-- a lot of credit for the idea goes to Margaret Crawford, who is a visiting scholar here this year.

Sep 22, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: