Archinect
anchor

Books on Materials

farwest1

I'm looking for a good book or articles on materials that deal with materials critically rather than analytically.

For instance, something that looks at Kazuyo Sejima's use of glass to create thinness and transparency. Or Herzog DeMeuron's use of metals and plastics to create visual effects. Or Tadao Ando's use of concrete to create massive, mute forms.

Most of the books I've found are either purely factual (properties of materials) or a specific analysis of a specific building.

Any ideas?

Aug 27, 07 12:30 pm

well, this is another purely factual example, but i suggest it because it's also very descriptive rather than matter-of-fact:

'modern construction handbook', andrew watts, springer (wien/new york)

good pictures and example details.

--

i'm sure you've already found 'on weathering' and 'surface architecture' by mostafavi and leatherbarrow. i've always thought that 'on weathering' is beautiful and fascinating but not ultimately useful beyond establishing that thinking in advance about the effect of time/use/weather on material is an impt design consideration.

Aug 27, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Great tips, Steven. I'd forgotten about the Leatherbarrow books, but I'll pull them off the shelf again.

(Incidentally, there are some interesting critical essays in Andrea Deplazes' book "Constructing Architecture." It's a great tome for construction--very swiss.)

Aug 27, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Arjun Appadurai, "The Social Life of Things"

Aug 27, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

i almost forgot 'manual' by kieran timberlake. a monograph, really, but with a twist.

Aug 27, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
n_
Transmaterial::Blaine Brownell
Aug 27, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

I think it is this one:

Building Skins

Christian Schittich
Building Skins, Revised

Hardcover | 198 Pages | Birkhauser | 2e Edition
ISBN10: 3764376406 | ISBN13: 9783764376406

Aug 27, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Materials categorized with all characteristics and applications... very useful and an architects must have.

I wasn't aware that is was revised but the original book was called just: "Skins" .

<Mac.>

Aug 27, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

mc masters
steel book
recent visits to the factories

Aug 27, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: